3-Point Hitch Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down?

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #11  
Sounds like its time to rebuild the internal lift cylinder and possibly the lift control valve.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #12  
Isn't this how the draft control is supposed to work? The lift arms will try to drop as long as there is no draft force and the draft control is 'engaged'. A draft force will enable the draft control to try and raise the lift arms until draft forces are lessened. If you move the draft control lever to the other position (off), do the lift arms still drop?

Also, one more thought....I'm not completely sure of the specifics of your tractor, but the older tractors had a draft control that was purely mechanical - usually a large spring was located behind the seat and connected somehow with the top link. Has this possibly been removed or altered, affecting the operation of the draft control? Just a thought.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down?
My last reply did not seem to take for some reaso
However I think that the information I have received for you folks is spot on (as they say in England). I will have to rebuild the lift cylinder and just maybe the entire hydraulic system.

Thank you all for the information....

Dean

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #14  
Isn't this how the draft control is supposed to work? The lift arms will try to drop as long as there is no draft force and the draft control is 'engaged'. A draft force will enable the draft control to try and raise the lift arms until draft forces are lessened. If you move the draft control lever to the other position (off), do the lift arms still drop?

Also, one more thought....I'm not completely sure of the specifics of your tractor, but the older tractors had a draft control that was purely mechanical - usually a large spring was located behind the seat and connected somehow with the top link. Has this possibly been removed or altered, affecting the operation of the draft control? Just a thought.

The way I understand draft control is that you set the position of the tph, then if there are draft forces applied- it will raise until those forces are gone, then will return to the position that you originally set. I have draft control on my tractor but have not yet used it, so could be wrong.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #15  
To add to the preceding: When you are seated in the operator's seat, reach down with your right hand to find a two-position lever. This is to select "draft" or "position" control. When this lever is pointing upward you have selected "position" control, and when it is pointing forward you have selected "draft" control. In "position" control the lower links will raise or lower in direct relationship with the position of the Lift Control Lever. Hope this is helpful.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #16  
so far.

are you in draft mode. if in darft mode it may act like all up or down.

2nd.

if it leaks off fast at shutdown.. you need to rebuild the lift cyl.

while in there.. service the cam and cam follower pin. severely worn one will reduce yourlift resoloution and could be causing some of the probs you see.. espcially if it needs adjustment.

refer tot he alternate adjustment procedure if it starts mentioning nuday tools that you will obviously not have access to.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #17  
Had a similiar problem on my ford 3400, the cause of mine was that the internal linkage under the lift cover was adjusted incorrectly and position control was not working as a result. Exact same symptoms as you had, with the exception that mine would hold a weight up when off. You will need to have the lift cover off and take some of the linkage apart to adjust it correctly. I had a service manual on hand and wouldn't have wanted to do it without one. In the process of doing this, you might as well get the lift cover overhaul kit and replace all the o-rings (usually less than $20 for the kit). If you are replacing the unload valve o-ring don't forget to order that too, it did not come in my kit. There is a critical measurement in the linkage adjustment (when you see .2" and a special tool mentioned in the manual) that is stated ambiguously, if you have trouble figuring out what it means (I did) let me know and I can try to describe it. That's the key measurement so if something doesn't look right/fit right you're probably interpreting the manual wrong. What soundguy said about the cam follower pin is also a possible cause, but that was not the issue on my machine. It is possible that your lift not holding under weight and your position control not working are two separate issues, so make sure to check the linkage if you're in there replacing the piston seals.