3-Point Hitch Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down?

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #1  

blanckmd

Tractor
Ford ???
I have a British Ford 3000. Not having any tractor experience and trying to to some tractor work in my field, the following situation has been causing my mind to question.

Is the three point hitch / apparatus supposed to have interim locations. It seems that mine is either all the way up or all the way down, no matter where the selector lever is located in its semi-circular travel. The unit does not stay up once the motor is switched off. I looked at a Jubilee some time ago, and the seller was so proud of the fact that the 3-point apparatus would hold a load up for an extended length of time, (like days).

Thanks for the information.

Dean

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #2  
Not familiar with your particular one, but every tractor I've ever used, the 3PH could be set anywhere in it's range. If it won't hold in position, I'd say first order of business would be to get the lift cylinders rebuilt. You may also have a valve problem.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #3  
Yes agree with Oaktree, a "position control" 3PH hitch should stay "in position" where the lever is set.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #4  
I think there is an operator missunderstanding. 3 points vary in how they operate. But on most simple ones.

It is not the position of the lever that controls where the lift stops. If you want it to stop half way down then slowly lower it to where you want it and then put the lever back to the center position. The lift should stay at the halfway point.

Putting the lever at the half way point will not hold it there.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #5  
I think there is an operator missunderstanding. 3 points vary in how they operate. But on most simple ones.

It is not the position of the lever that controls where the lift stops. If you want it to stop half way down then slowly lower it to where you want it and then put the lever back to the center position. The lift should stay at the halfway point.

It is on our three Fords, one Case, Massey Ferguson and two of our Kubotas.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #6  

This is not how mine works, I agree with Oaktree and TripleR. This also enables me to place a stop on the lever to lower back to the same point repeatedly after raising it. Very useful for plowing.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #7  
It is not the position of the lever that controls where the lift stops. If you want it to stop half way down then slowly lower it to where you want it and then put the lever back to the center position. The lift should stay at the halfway point. Putting the lever at the half way point will not hold it there.

I think the distinction here is whether it is a position control hitch or not. On my tractor, if I put the position control lever in the same position, the hitch comes to the same height each time. On the Kubotas with the quarter-inching control, moving the lever up raises the hitch, moving it down lowers the hitch, and you put the lever back to center to stop the hitch. I don't have enough history with tractors to say, but my impression was that most tractors of the modern era had position control. Is that not the case?

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #8  
I think the distinction here is whether it is a position control hitch or not. On my tractor, if I put the position control lever in the same position, the hitch comes to the same height each time. On the Kubotas with the quarter-inching control, moving the lever up raises the hitch, moving it down lowers the hitch, and you put the lever back to center to stop the hitch. I don't have enough history with tractors to say, but my impression was that most tractors of the modern era had position control. Is that not the case?

From another site: The Ford 3000 Tractor is equipped with the Cat I 3PH lift system with draft and position control functions.

That has been my experience with Ag/Utility and many CUTS tractors; quite a few smaller CUTS and especially SCUTS don't have position control.

I am certainly no expert though.

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down? #9  
I have a British Ford 3000. Not having any tractor experience and trying to to some tractor work in my field, the following situation has been causing my mind to question.

Is the three point hitch / apparatus supposed to have interim locations. It seems that mine is either all the way up or all the way down, no matter where the selector lever is located in its semi-circular travel. The unit does not stay up once the motor is switched off. I looked at a Jubilee some time ago, and the seller was so proud of the fact that the 3-point apparatus would hold a load up for an extended length of time, (like days).

Thanks for the information.

Dean

I would think a ford 3000 would have both position control and draft control. In position control it should hold any position you select when the tractor is running. With an implement on the three point hitch in the raised position, it should hold that position with the engine off for at least 15 minutes. If it doesn't, you either have a leaking lift cyclinder or the relief valves is stuck part way open

/ Up or down vs all the way up or all the way down?
J/MT

I think you are right about the draft control and the position control. Not sure how or if the draft control works.

The TPH drops real fast when the position control lever is moved to the down position. There is no in between, either up or down. It drops within seconds once the engine is turned off even without an implement.

Thanks

Dean