Mowing How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower?

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #11  
Just depends on how slow you want to go. If you want to crawl along in lowest possible gear, you can do fine with MUCH less than 5hp per ft.

I have seen people use 6' cutters behind old wore out N-series fords that probabally only mustered 20-21 PTO power. (they were 23 when new and fresh). So that is just a tad over 3hp per ft.

Using that ratio, 13-14hp would equate to about the same.

Curious why you are asking though? do you have a particular tractor in mind? Or just shopping?
The OP's profile lists a Shibaura SU1540. I don't know if this is the tractor he is intending to use. My research shows that make and model has Engine HP-18 and PTO HP-15.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #12  
If that is the tractor, then think a 48 would be okay, but not optimal. I would see about a 42" model as a better fit.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #13  
i've ran a 4' hog on a ford 1210 before... that's low teens hp.. and you must slow down.. but it will do it.

i have some low 10-13 hp tractors that run 4' mowers... etc..

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower?
Thanks for all of the replies and opinions. Good info all around.

Yes, I am intending to use an SU1540. My understanding is 18Hp engine, and 15Hp PTO. First and foremost I'm buying it to use on our little urban homestead. However I would like to be able to hire out and make the little beast pay for itself. If I have to charge less per hour than a guy with a 50Hp tractor for brush mowing, so be it. I just want to recover a little of my cost.

Last edited:
   / How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #15  
15 pto hp will run a 44-48" mower.. i'd get a kk xb model with 2 tail wheels. make groundspeed match cutting density so she does not stay lugged. scut's generally have oddles of tranny / groundspeed options so this should not be an issue..

15 pto hp will run a 44-48" mower.. i'd get a kk xb model with 2 tail wheels. make groundspeed match cutting density so she does not stay lugged. scut's generally have oddles of tranny / groundspeed options so this should not be an issue..

Sound advice from a sound guy. Sorry, I'm sure you've heard that before. I couldn't resist.

The 5Hp-per-foot rule is good to know. It's also good to feel fairly confident in pushing it a little if I go slow. I don't mind going slow. I really quite enjoy the sound and feel of a diesel machine working as intended. Having a job take a little longer is almost a plus.

I pick up Shiba this weekend. ****, it has been a long week!

Cheers,

Chris

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #17  
I ran a 4-ft King Kutter brush hog with a Kubota B7510HST (17 hp pto) with no problem in 2-3 ft weeds. Just needed to keep the ground speed under control to keep from lugging the engine too much.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #18  
You could buy a little bigger tractor to ran the 4 footer a case 245 or 255 or 265 they are compacts

Yeah, there's always an advantage to having a tractor that's just a little bigger. With all of the new and used machines that are available, I can buy tractors in 1Hp increments. It's really easy to get out of control.

I have hard limits in physicals size, weight, and cost. While some older Ford, IH, and Case tractors are cheap and more powerful, they are universally too heavy. I have a 1ton trailer and no desire to get a bigger one. The newer Kubota and Deere tractors are compact and powerful, but they are far beyond my reach financially. You get the idea.

That's why I settled on a little grey market tractor. I can pay for it with cash, haul it on existing equipment, and store it in my existing garage. While I have yet to confirm, I believe it is equivalent to the Ford 1200. Theoretically, parts won't be too hard to get.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #20  
If you hoping a 15 PTO HP tractor will pay for itself with a 4' mower I wish you luck. It sure wouldn't around my area. When you say a 1 ton trailer I don't see how any tractor with a mower could be hauled and meet the weight limits. Maybe I misunderstood.

MarkV