Mowing How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower?

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower?
Like I said, the brush mowing is intended to be secondary. I have no experience, so maybe it's all just wishful thinking.

The tractor weighs about 1200lbs. With loader and tiller I'm just over 2000lbs.

Thanks for your input.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #22  
When you say a 1 ton trailer I don't see how any tractor with a mower could be hauled and meet the weight limits
I agree, particularly if you add front weights.
tractordata.com says your tractor weighs 1888 pounds, dry.
TractorData.com Shibaura SU1540 tractor information
No way you can keep your load under a ton with a rear mower.
Besides if you add the length of your tractor plus the mower, highly likely it will be way longer than your trailer. Better measure first...
Wish you the best on your new tractor. Drew

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #23  
If you hoping a 15 PTO HP tractor will pay for itself with a 4' mower I wish you luck. It sure wouldn't around my area. When you say a 1 ton trailer I don't see how any tractor with a mower could be hauled and meet the weight limits. Maybe I misunderstood.

MarkV

well, a ford 1200 weighs about 1250# with a couple gallons fuel and oil in the system.

a 4' mower weighs about 450# ( howse economy, no chains, lift type )

a 3.5' mower weighs about 396# ( howse economy, no chains, lift type )

a 3' mower weighs about 376# ( howse economy, no chains, lift type )

the average 2k rated trailer likely weighs 400-500# ( really depends on design.. )

so.. lets add that up..

he'll be 76-150# over depending on his actual trailer weight.

My guess is it'd be safe... but IS over weight technically.

I have a 2k trailer I have pulled my IH cub with.. as is, it is 1850# and trailer is 450

I had no issues ( might have been lucky ) then again.. I had lots of truck pulling it too..... I even had 1' x 1' sheets of 3/4" plywood under the tires to prevent divoting the expanded metal from setting on it while driving.

no doubt the ? 12" tires and hubs and bearings won't like overload on a constant basis.. and DO check tire rating. the stok 12" tires on my 2k trailer were NO where near able to do 2k till I changed them.. i mean like WAY off.. like 500# off...

a 3.5k ;) trailer would be better..
biggest issue was positioning. a 2k trailer likely has just enough room to get all 4 tires on it. :)

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #24  
remember.. you must deduct trailer weight from total capacity. the average 2k trailer has a payload limit of about 1550#

The tractor weighs about 1200lbs. With loader and tiller I'm just over 2000lbs.

Thanks for your input.

Ineresting. I didn't catch that weight on TractorData. The other tractors I've been looking at in this size and power range have all been much lighter.

I expected the length to be a little greater than my trailer. I can remove the bucket and overhang the front and rear both. However, with the weight issue I may have to re-think my plans anyway. I dunno. The trailer is really rated to 1.25 ton on-road. It's an old 3/4 ton military trailer.

It seems odd that the SU1540 weight would be so much greater than the Ford 1200.

Thanks for the info!

remember.. you must deduct trailer weight from total capacity. the average 2k trailer has a payload limit of about 1550#

Duh! I can't believe I overlooked that.

Thanks for the helping me stay in the realm of common sense.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #27  
we are just keeping ya legal and safe. and us safe.. :)

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #28  

Yea, but unless things are different for smaller trailers, dont you get to ad back in the weight carried by the tongue?

IE: If I have a 7k rated cat hauler, and it weighs 2k, that means I am allowed 5k on the axles. If I have 1k on the ball, I could legally haul 6k on the trailer right?

So in your last example, where he would be ~150# over, if he had 300# on the ball, wouldnt he be 150# under?????

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #29  
FWIW. We usually keep in stock new 38 and 42 inch rotary cutters. Ken Sweet

7k trailer aquired. Thank you Craigslist.

Thanks for the plug, Ken. I'll check out your website. Can you give a shipping example for 400lbs to Portland, Oregon?

EDIT - Nervermind. I see how your shipping works.

Last edited: