Mowing How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower?

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #1  

S Putnik

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM336D
Just curious what is recommended and what one can get away with by slowing down a bit.

Thanks.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #2  
I ran a 48" bush hog with Kubota BX1850. Only issue was front end was light when going up hill carrying the mower. I was cutting grass 12 - 18" high with no brush.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #3  
my memory in reading posts here was about 5hp per foot of mower and that was likely for a light load. I used a five foot mower on my 21hp pto tractor and it did fine, but it was not pushed hard. Definitely need front weights; I had to build a weight box for the front of my tractor.
I found this helpful: TractorData.com - Mowing with tractors

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #4  
5hp per foot is the minimum recommended rating. At 5hp/ft you will be dramatically slowed in the thick, tall grass. 8hp/ft and you can breeze right through the thickest of grass or brush.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #5  
5hp/foot is the rule of thumb (as has been said). We have a 5' brushhog that we run behind the B7500 (16PTO HP) and our L3830 (32 PTO HP).
You can bog the L3830 down with a 5' mower, but it takes some doing. The B7500 makes you crawl unless mowing light weeds.

Aaron Z

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #6  
Just curious what is recommended and what one can get away with by slowing down a bit.

Thanks.
My research shows these specs on a Shibaura SU1540 that you have listed in your profile. Engine HP-18 PTO HP-15 In my opinion, a lot would depend on the terrain that you are mowing and the type and height of the material that you are mowing. Hilly land requires more power than flat land. Are you just mowing grass or are there saplings present? BTW, best wishes.

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #7  
Check the various manufacturers' recommendations regarding minimum HP requirements. For example, Woods lists a minimum of 15 HP for their 4' cutters: Rotary Cutters.

Steve

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #8  
Hilly land requires more power than flat land.
ditto
when I was mowing one field with a long incline, it was clear I was taking all the hp out of the engine, and I'd get some occasional puffs of smoke. All normal, but if you are running near the limit, keep an eye on your temp gauge.
I thought you might find this pic interesting to confirm comments on front weights. When I first got this mower, which is as big as the tractor, it was Land Pride's lightest weight 60", intentionally, since I was mowing field grass, never brush.
When I raised the mower up, and stepped on the rear of the mower deck, the front wheels of the tractor lifted up. That sure got my attention. 300 pounds of front weights later, all was well.

Attachments

• P1010615.jpg
    P1010615.jpg
    909.3 KB · Views: 874
  • P1010308.jpg
    P1010308.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 743
   / How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #9  
I have no trouble pulling a 5' squealer bush hog with my New Holland 1720 that is rated @ 23.5 pto hp...
The 5 hp per foot rule is IMHO right on the money but you can get by with 4...

/ How much pto Hp is needed for a 48" brush mower? #10  
Just depends on how slow you want to go. If you want to crawl along in lowest possible gear, you can do fine with MUCH less than 5hp per ft.

I have seen people use 6' cutters behind old wore out N-series fords that probabally only mustered 20-21 PTO power. (they were 23 when new and fresh). So that is just a tad over 3hp per ft.

Using that ratio, 13-14hp would equate to about the same.

Curious why you are asking though? do you have a particular tractor in mind? Or just shopping?