Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem

/ Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem #1  

ac4068

Tractor
Massey Ferguson GC2400
I have a new/used GC2400. This morning I plowed snow for the first time after the Nor'easter. Everything is functioning normally with the exception of the tach. The machine has 130 hours on it, 30 of them mine. Never noticed any issues. The tachometer worked fine and then started sporadically jumping up and down from where it was supposed to be to pinned at the max. The RPM's remained constant at what I suspect was about 2500 rpm's. Even backing off the throttle didn't completely solve the problem. I also notice a slight change in engine noise when the needle pins. It's a subtle change. Almost a bit of a whine.

The only modification I made to the tractor was adding some front and rear facing work lights. The lights are wired to the battery with their own inline fuse and switch and grounded to the chassis. They work perfectly. The tach problem is present regardless of whether the lights are on or not.

I have checked the wire connections and the tach cable. Wire connections seem good. Tach cable seems fine but I don't know where it goes after it leaves the instrument cluster. All other gauges seem to be functioning normally.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

/ Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem #2  
did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the same issue and I have almost the same amount of hours.

/ Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem
The problem seems to have disappeared on it's own. It makes me think that the conditions that caused it may have been environmental. When it happened if I recall the temps had dropped to the 20's. I have used the tractor for plowing several times since then but with temps only down to around 30 degrees F. U am wondering if there was some type of moisture condition where the low temps might have been an issue. When I plowed this morning the problem was gone.
did you ever figure out the problem? I am having the same issue and I have almost the same amount of hours.

/ Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem #4  
I have the same problem. I can afford a new dash. I am told that it has the same defect. so spend a small fortune to end up in the same place. Whats the solution.

/ Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem #5  
I’ve had the same problem only in cold weather for years. It always seems to fix itself. It is very annoying though

/ Massey Ferguson GC2400 Tachometer problem #6  
I had the same problem, but through my dealers recommendation I bough a new tac transmission for 60 usd and easily replaced it. So far so good has not happened since. I believe its just the type of grease they used for a little while. Where the tac cable plugs in behind the cluster panel-its what I call a transmission. Its easily removed by one screw-maybe it can be removed and all the green Vaseline looking grease cleaned out. then if you add a good greese that works best best in cold temps that's all you need. So easy to remove-just one screw after you unscrew the tac cable.