I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors!

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors! #1  

dobronos

Tractor
Don't Have one yet!
Hi everyone, I am new to the site. I run a part time landscaping company and I'm looking to add a tractor to the fleet. It's a Massey Ferguson 1020 HST Diesel 4x4 with 1200 hours and it comes with a 60" belly mower. The seller is asking $4,000. Is this a good price? The tractor has a Catergory 1, 3- point hitch with Mid PTO 2,000 RPM and Rear PTO 540 RPM. I really don't know anything about tractors. I would like to put a plow on the front for the winter, possibly get a box blade or rake for the back, and maybe a brush hog on the back. How do I know if I could get any of these attachments, and how would I know if they would fit? I would probably go to my local Tractor Supply to purchase these attachment. Please help me out guys! Thanks - Mike

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors! #2  
Tractorhouse lists six 1020s here: http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=MASSEY-FERGUSON&Mdltxt=1020&mdlx=exact.

Depending on where you live, you should be able to find numerous sources for attachments, both new and used. You will find that Category 1 attachments come in various widths and weights (e.g., light, medium, and/or heavy duty versions). Your attachment choices for a 1020 with 21 HP may be limited to lighter/narrower versions.

Steve

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors!
Tractorhouse lists six 1020s here: http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?ETID=1&Manu=MASSEY-FERGUSON&Mdltxt=1020&mdlx=exact.

Depending on where you live, you should be able to find numerous sources for attachments, both new and used. You will find that Category 1 attachments come in various widths and weights (e.g., light, medium, and/or heavy duty versions). Your attachment choices for a 1020 with 21 HP may be limited to lighter/narrower versions.

Steve

How will I know if an attachment is compatible with the tractor? If the attachment is category 1, then it will work with the tractor? Sorry, but I literally know nothing about these machines.. - Mike

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors! #4  
Most Implements will give a HP rating that is needed to run them.

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors! #5  
Look for 4' bush hog and box blade(cat 1 is a standard for fitting the 3 point). Tractordata shows that as 14.5 pto horsepower so i would say stay at 4 ' for bush hog. Front blade might be harder to find. Look for 4.5 to 5' so it is still as wide as tractor when angled. Might be easier to find rear grader blade at 5'. Would say 5' for rake also. Price looks good but depends on condition. hydro and 4 wd both add to value as well as belly mower.

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors!
Look for 4' bush hog and box blade(cat 1 is a standard for fitting the 3 point). Tractordata shows that as 14.5 pto horsepower so i would say stay at 4 ' for bush hog. Front blade might be harder to find. Look for 4.5 to 5' so it is still as wide as tractor when angled. Might be easier to find rear grader blade at 5'. Would say 5' for rake also. Price looks good but depends on condition. hydro and 4 wd both add to value as well as belly mower.

Thanks for the reply. The Massey is nice, not really any scratches, and paint is in good condition. Would something like this work with the massey 1020?

CountyLineョ 4 ft. Rotary Cutter with a 40 HP Gearbox - 2127230 | Tractor Supply Company

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors! #7  
Thanks for the reply. The Massey is nice, not really any scratches, and paint is in good condition. Would something like this work with the massey 1020?

CountyLineョ 4 ft. Rotary Cutter with a 40 HP Gearbox - 2127230 | Tractor Supply Company

Yes that will work.. it is made by King Kutter, Your horsepower available on the PTO is a little low, but you can slow down in the thick stuff or take narrower swaths. The rotary cutter is not particular heavy duty, but will suffice for up to 1 inch or so brush. I have had one for several years and still use it. I wish you were near SW Missouri, I would sell you my 5 ft rear blade cheap. I never use it. My current tractor is much larger than the B7500 Kubota I used to have and use it on.

James K0UA

/ I need Help and Knowledge about Tractors! #8