Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    2N Ford

Default Re: "Grinding" pavement (black top)

Another thought if you know someone that you can get to bring in a small dozer or similar tracked equipment you may be able to get it churned up enough to spread. We crush our asphalt to 1 1/2" same as 304, we get $6.00 a ton for it.

Randy

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

if he has a tiller.. just till it up.. don't go too deep.. then compact.. and seal then sand-top it..

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    OK, this may be crazy, but I'm not the craziest person on this planet, so I figure if I can think of doing it someone else has already tried.

A friend has a dried up asphalt driveway that is cracked and crumbling.
    I have a Harley Rake, so....

We were wondering if it would be "practical" to grind up this very dried out black top, compact it either with a vibrator or roller, then tar over it.
    I know they do roads this way and I know it is much larger scale equipment, but he has more time than money and I can spare some of my time to help him out.
    It is SO dried out that I don't think there is much chance of us just making a tarry mess, I think it will crumble.

Option B would be to dig it all up and have it hauled off, but he doesn't have budget for what we assume disposal costs would probably be.

Your thoughts, suggestions, recommendations are welcome - - ridicule and derision too, we may need to be laughed out of trying this one (-:

BTW, my Harley Rake has a good few hours on it so we wouldn't be abusing NEW equipment, not that I want to wreck it.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Asphalt milling machines are heavy, massive with a lot of horsepower. You will tear up your tractor and Harley rake if you proceed.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

I've never run a Harley rake but I know they are expensive and made for dirt. It's your equipment but it sure sounds like you are the one that takes the lose if things go bad.

MarkV

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    Asphalt milling machines are heavy, massive with a lot of horsepower. You will tear up your tractor and Harley rake if you proceed.
    if the asphalt on that drive is truly crumbled.. he should have no problem. most asphalt drives have thin surface course.. that.. and if already broke down.. he can just mix a couple inches deap to get a lil subgrade mixed in. use slowest groundspeed gear. i've done exactly this setp on a drive at my stepdads place. commercial reclaimers and mixers are nothing more than hyge tillers made to go very wide and very deep... neither of which he is doing. also.. asphalt is VERY easy to mix.. unlike concrete or other rock.

I've leave the harley rake at home.. no use for it here. simply mix.. angle or box blade to desired shape.. then roll... then hit with a tack coat or chaipseal.. then sand..

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    if the asphalt on that drive is truly crumbled.. he should have no problem. most asphalt drives have thin surface course.. that.. and if already broke down.. he can just mix a couple inches deap to get a lil subgrade mixed in. use slowest groundspeed gear. i've done exactly this setp on a drive at my stepdads place. commercial reclaimers and mixers are nothing more than hyge tillers made to go very wide and very deep... neither of which he is doing. also.. asphalt is VERY easy to mix.. unlike concrete or other rock.

I've leave the harley rake at home.. no use for it here. simply mix.. angle or box blade to desired shape.. then roll... then hit with a tack coat or chaipseal.. then sand..
    If it is a 1" thick layer of alligatored asphalt then you are probably correct. It could also be nothing more then numerous chip seal coats sold to the homeowner as an asphalt drive. Nothing I have paved is less then 3" in depth...that is what I consider asphalt pavement.

Tractor

i can sure tell you there are no 3" drive in my area.. heck.. 2.5" on our roads is the norm.. drives.. I've seen them 3/4" ..heck.. I've seen thin 1/2" skims on aprons...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12