FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135 #1  

ArcherXC

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 Massey Ferguson 135
I just bought a 1965 MF135. I want to service the tractor before I really use it especially the filters. I like to know exactly when they have been replaced so I know when to replace them again. What filters do I need to check and where are they located? Also, how often should they be checked or replaced. Thanks!

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135 #2  
You could have either of 2 different gas engines or a diesel....what engine do you have? BobG in VA

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135
I have the Continental Z145 Gas engine. I should have posted that in the initial post. Sorry. I have a lot of automotive experience so I have a good idea of what the engine needs unless there are filters on a tractor gas engine that you won't find on a auto. However, I do not have any experience on the tractor side of things. Those are the filters that I need the most help on.

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135 #4  
There are only 3 filters on the tractor. The air filter probably is a two part filter, the oil filter that is probably the conister version and the hydraulic filter. The first two should be highly self explanatory but, the hydraulic filter is a big pain. Not sure when the hydraulic fluid was last changed but it only runs about $80 to fill it from TSC so it may be something you want to do especially if you dont know the history of the tractor. Once you have the fluid drained two large 15/16" plugs one under the transmission one under the seat, you would need to take off the pto shifter side plate. Then you will have access to the filter, although not great access. I took the lift cover off when I replaced it on my tractor but it was so terribly caked and clogged I couldn't believe the pump would do anything. It is a slip in cartridge style filter but there is a silver cap holding it in place. I had to use fence pliers to twist that metal cap off.

Thanks. Is there anything I need to be cautious about when draining the fluid and changing the hydraulic filter? Will I have to bleed the system after draining the hydraulic fluid? Do I have to worry about stirring up sludge and dirt that will be a problem later? The hydraulic system works really well right now and I don't want to induce any problems if I can help it. What type of hydraulic fluid is best for a MF135?

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135 #6  
Honestly if everything is working great I wouldn't worry about the filter but you can check the hydraulic fluid color from the dip stick and decide if it needs replacing. The plugs are low and big enough to get most everything out. I did use about a gallon of diesel to help clean things out.

I used the $50 agco filter and it seems to be running well. But as I said if your filter cover was as tight as mine I couldn't imagine getting it off from the side access hole.

Nothing to bleed the system is not sealed like brake lines.

I do have a 1969 owners manual if there is any information you want to know.

Thanks. Where is fuel filter on this engine?

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135 #8  
Mines a diesel, so it's on the left side of the tractor just below the tank.

/ FIlters On A Massey Ferguson 135 #9  
Thanks. Where is fuel filter on this engine?

Only fuel filter on the Z145 is the brass screen at the carb connection...really, you don't have one, and if the fuel tank is "clean" you won't need one either. BobG in VA

Thanks.