Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over?

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #12  
Some of you already read this. Roll overs are not to be taken lightly. In an instant your whole life can change.

Be safe.
-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

My story

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #13  
Re: Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll o

See my post in Saftey, "A bad Saturday Afternoon"

A combination of a slight slope, two ruts from the power company truck, an unbalanced load, and other factors...

My dad was the operator, new (to him) tractor, had it on the ground less than 15 minutes. It scared him enough that he hesitates greatly about using it anywhere other than on perfectly flat ground (and nothing's flat around here)......

A bad Saturday afternoon

Attachments

• 288505-tractor flip1.JPG
    288505-tractor flip1.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 671
   / Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #14  
Mike Z,

I had not seen that before.

Thank you for pointing us to it. Sure will keep your experience in the back of my mind and it will help me to be a safer and more cautious tractor operator.

Glad you are still with us...

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #15  
adeguilo:

As others have said, angle can vary on conditions. It's best not to go on a number (i.e. a particular number of degrees) because conditions alter that - also, as another poster well explained dynamic factors (momentum) changes the extact angle when point of no return is going to happen.

I have gone over twice. Once with a farmall coming up out of a hole I was digging with a full scoop of wet dirt. The farmall is pretty light on the front end (blush, blush. I sometimes drove the thing on the two rear wheels while the front wheels were off the ground - fun, but NOT a very safe practice). Fortunately, the 3pt kept damage to a minimum (just the top link bent). Harry Ferguson (developer of 3pt) and Henry Ford (who first popularized it on the 9n) saved a lot of lives. Maybe saved mine. Also, went over forward in a skid steer with little risk. Load of dirt too high when dumping while moving forward - the ANGLE was safe enough, it was the high center of gravity combined with the forward momentum that caused it. Again, you can't go strictly on a specific angle - you have to consider conditions. The cage structure protects well (unless you are thrown forward out of the cage). The bucket kept it from a complete 180. No damage (I guess - it was a rental). Easy enough (when got over the shock!) to push it back upright using the bucket.

Am more afraid of going over side ways (unless I was in a skid steer) which is why I won't wear seat belts. If the thing starts to go over, you can leap off to the UPSIDE - IF you are paying attention. Also, there's nothing to stop the momentum side to side once it starts to roll. When going over fore and aft the rolling is stopped (usually) with the upper link in the rear if you go over backwards or whatever implement is on the front - usually the FEL - if you go over forward ).

As others have said, when these things happen they happen FAST unless you are totally aware of what you are doing at the time. Paying attention is the single most important safey neccessity. Example: you are heading uphill at an obligue angle on a slope that seems steep. The upside front tire will tend to lift a bit first when you are getting into a risky situation. If you see that, whoa. My advice: if anything even looks risky either don't do it, or, go very, very slow and PAY ATTENTION to what is happening with the tractor.

JEH

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #16  
I have a couple questions / thoughts..

Grimreaper mentions leaping off the tractor to the Upside, so the tractor won't land on you. I've heard people say you should leap off to the downside.. I presume because the momentum of the tractor rolling will help you get clear. Trying to scramble over the high side as it's rising toward you seems like it might result in your simply not making it off in time, or, worse, getting tangled up in the undercarriage as you try to run on it. Picture a Wile E. Coyote cartoon, where he's running like mad but not going anywhere.. that's the image I have in mind. Of course it would depend on a number of other factors, most of which you probably wouldn't have time to think about in the heat of the moment. Thoughts, anyone?

Another question.. the mention was made of going very slowly. What I wonder is, say you're going along the top of a ditch and you start to tip into it. If you can turn into the direction of the roll fast enough, you might just drive a ways down into the ditch but remain upright. In creeper gear you wouldn't have time to do that. I don't mean going fast, but just fast enough that you could turn into the roll quickly enough to maybe prevent it.

I'm not advocating these positions.. more just asking what people's opinions are.

All of this assuming, of course, that you don't have a ROPS up and your seatbelt on.. in which case I would think you would just curl up small, hang on, and hope for the best..

Thanks,
Bob

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #17  

Trev

Right on for turning into the roll. As to which way a guy jumps I don't figure there's time to debate the direction. Instinct will take over.

Egon

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #18  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Grimreaper mentions leaping off the tractor to the Upside )</font>

Sounds like a good idea, but in reality, in only the very rarest of circumstances will he succeed. Try jumping sometime from a platform that's moving in the opposite direction; just doesn't work very often.

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #19  
You know, it's downright terrifying to think about all the various things that could go wrong while operating a tractor! But better to think about them now, while driving a computer, than letting them happen. I applaud all the folks who bring these safety issues up.

It's one thing to think about accidents in the abstract.. but quite another to hear the real-life stories and see the pictures.

Bob /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Slope...what is safe?? Anyone here ever roll over? #20  

Plenty of discussion on what to do when it starts to roll... better to emphasize how to prevent. In the event of rolling over, I speculate that as indicated, instinct and adrenline will dictate your course of action... speculation and planning will do no good... This is like saying... when i go to war, I will have make sure I kill the bad guys... Who knows what you'll really do until you are presented with the situation?