Sandy mess finally cleaned up

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
well, almost, still have some wood to split, but that's the easy part.
And a fine woodpile (one of many) to show for it. I'm sure this scene is repeated up and down the East Coast.
I bet the firewood people are having an interesting season, maybe too much supply and not enough demand.

Our township has a strict no burn policy so I had to haul all the trash away and bury it as neatly as I could in the woods.
The Kubota's grapple made this so easy to do.

One more large tree to do, but it's a big tulip poplar that fell in a field and I've got all winter to fiddle with it. Not sure how good that wood
is to burn, it's a hardwood, but apparently not very hard.

Attachments

• P1010760 (2).jpg
    P1010760 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 323
  • P1010762 (2).jpg
    P1010762 (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 401
  • P1010745 (2).jpg
    P1010745 (2).jpg
    1,021.1 KB · Views: 335
  • P1010741 (2).jpg
    P1010741 (2).jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 311
   / Sandy mess finally cleaned up #2  
That's a nice stack of firewood.

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up
Thanks. I was/am a long time boater, and sadly am utterly useless when it comes to tying knots, a real problem at times.
And I have been cutting wood since I was a little kid, and I never could get the ends of the pile right. Growing up, we did about seven cord a year, had 70 acres of woods out back, and had such long wood piles
we never worried about the ends.

Now my good friend Bill is an Eagle Scoutmaster and he comes along and fixes up my piles, makes the ends so straight I bet I could put a plumb on it.
Gotta know your limitations...
As you might imagine, Bill is really good with knots too...sigh.

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up #4  
Looks good. I remember when hurricane Fran came through our place in NC back in the 90's and left a huge mess. Luckily (or unfortunately) a large number of the trees that went down were oaks and provided all the firewood we could use for the next few years.

As for the tulip poplar, we've burned it before but it wasn't great. Made a ton of ash and heat output was mediocre. If it's down you might as well use it for something though.

I have about three years of white oak stored in the barn's wood room, so I really am torn about spending all the time to chop up that poplar. Long straight trunk as usual, would be good for someone to make furniture I believe.
At least it's lying down in a way that cutting it up will be super easy. If the saw goes through it like butter, well....maybe I will just haul it off for the squirrels to live in.

Even with the oak trunk as hollow as it was, that sucker was unbelievably heavy. I have some big logs to cut up, well big for me. I have a 20" bar on an Echo 450 and some of them are sure bigger than that.
Those really large rounds in the picture were from last year, need help to get them to the splitter and do vertically, but that's backbreaking too. Actually they'd make better seating around a camp fire...

Thanks Creekbend. We had an enormous number of trees and power poles down, but perhaps due to some divine force, very few hit people's homes. But this morning, weeks later, all one could hear was the sound of saws and chippers echoing throughout the neighborhood as the cleanup continues. Almost like a tornado hit parts of our area, knocked down whole sections of woods. Others had it much worse, particularly further North of us.
The real worry for me was the older folk without power, and no way to get to their homes, all the roads, and I mean all for awhile, were blocked. And it got cold too so everyone helped out and took others in.
Really sad how many people died in their homes when trees fell on them, NY, NJ and New England were really bad.

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up #8  
While tulip may not be a great heating wood, if I remember correctly it splits nicely and burns fast.
I'd cut a goodly pile and split it up small for kindling.
Can never have enough kindling.
Glad to see you weathered the storm in good stead.

/ Sandy mess finally cleaned up #9  
While tulip may not be a great heating wood, if I remember correctly it splits nicely and burns fast.
I'd cut a goodly pile and split it up small for kindling.
Can never have enough kindling.
Glad to see you weathered the storm in good stead.

Exactly what I do with poplar. I also keep some for early and late season fires when you just want to take care of the morning chill. Makes great kindling.

MarkV

Makes great kindling.
good advice, thanks.
Now what do I do with seventy feet of kindling?
Better rethink my storage plans.