Mowing Grass wrapping rear axle - NH TC30

/ Grass wrapping rear axle - NH TC30 #1  

BlueRanger

Tractor
New Holland
Recently, while mowing with a shredder, a large ball of tall grass started wrapping around the tractor's rear axle, left side only. (Between the wheel & transmission)

I've spent a few hundred hours mowing with this New Holland TC30, and this is my first time to encounter this particular problem. The grass was about 18" high, but I've previously mowed lots of weeds that were nearly hood-high with no difficulty. After clearing the wrapped grass and not seeing any obvious problems that might cause it, I tried mowing again, and immediately experienced another wrap.

It was getting dark about that time, but after removing the very tightly-wrapped grass, a brief examination still did not turn up any obvious cause. It is nearly impossible to watch that area while driving the tractor, and I don't have anyone else to drive it while I watch.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this problem? Advice will be greatly appreciated!

/ Grass wrapping rear axle - NH TC30 #2  
Ranger, the only thing I can think of is perhaps the angle of the shredder has changed. If it is on an angle with the front higher it will be throwing the cuttings toward the tractor. Check the position of the 3PT, ( three point hitch).

/ Grass wrapping rear axle - NH TC30
Thanks, AB, that is an interesting idea. That would account for the wrap only happening on one side, as the spinning blades would throw grass out in that direction. I'll check the shredder angle, and also drive the tractor through tall grass with the PTO turned off, to see if the problem is related to the actual mowing process.

My biggest concern is that it might be a purely "tractor" problem, versus a "mowing" problem. I've never really paid a lot of attention to that exact area between the wheel & transmission, and don't understand why the grass would wrap so tightly around the axle area. Isn't there a shield over most of the actual rotating axle? Perhaps the tire itself is grabbing the grass for some reason?