Oil & Fuel Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again

/ Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #1  

ldammeyer

Tractor
Ford 2000 3 Cylinder
My ford 2000 is giving me fits. The entire due system has been replace: new lines, new filter, new fuel pump. Ran good for two cuttings of Hay and then just quit while I was driving it.....hasn't started since. They guy who helped me get it going this last time said the Holley carb from 1970 is just too finicky for the new gas we get from the pump and that I need to replace it with a zenith carb and then sell it and get a diesel. Has anyone had similar issues and then switched to a zenith and had problem rectified? What zenith carb do you recommend and from where should I get it?

Attachments

• image-1805710470.jpg
    image-1805710470.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 1,867
   / Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #2  
My 2000 gasser stopped as well. I had recently added some Sta-bil to a couple of old 2-1/2 gal gas cans, shook them up and poured the treated gas into my tractor and my lawn mower. Lawn mower stopped too!
Two new fuel filters filters later both the tractor and mower were running again.

/ Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again
donb2 said:
My 2000 gasser stopped as well. I had recently added some Sta-bil to a couple of old 2-1/2 gal gas cans, shook them up and poured the treated gas into my tractor and my lawn mower. Lawn mower stopped too!
Two new fuel filters filters later both the tractor and mower were running again.

I haven't done anything this time to fix the problem other than crank it over and pray for it to start. I think I am gonna go ahead and buy a zenith and give it a try as most people (locals) that the old carbs will drive you crazy in this new ethanol enhanced gas. I'll let you know how it turns out....

/ Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #4  
Unless you can tell what failed, a "drive-by" condemnation of a part that has run on many different engines, on many different fuels for many years is a waste of money. There just isn't much in those old carbs to go bad. Needle and seat and float are about the only parts that aren't metal. Bad fuel of any kind can gunk up the passages in any carb. You usually get the best overall results with the parts the OEM installed. Just quit should be fairly easy to diagnose. Is it getting fuel as far as the carb? Can you get fuel to run out the carb drain hole? Does it have spark? Your mechanic definately isn't interested in fixing it. Sell it and get a diesel? Bad fuel will make even more expensive problems with a diesel. There are literally 1000's of Ford 2000 gas engines farming everyday for years on gas engines and original carbs. In summary don't throw parts at it, FIX IT. Then if you want a diesel for some other reason make decision based on need not because this one quit. As to being finicky that would be rough run, hard to get to idle, runs rich. Why would the Zenith be any better? It has a very similar old design. If you don't diagnose it you may spend the money, replace the carb and it may still not run. IMHO:2cents:

/ Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #5  
On mine several years ago, when it ran, it sounded like an air leak, like a worn throttle bushing. At Idle, it would run, then pause, then pick back up. Progressively got worse, then would backfire some.

Only had to remove the fuel bowl to see the problem. The bowl gasket is rather intricate. The circular part for the venturi had a small piece that had broken on one side, and went inward, causing the air leak. To get by, I put it back in place, and put a dab of Permatex 300 gasket cement to keep it in place, let it dry some, and reassembled hoping it would last until I got a full rebuild kit. That's been 5+ years ago, and never did get the rebuild kit for it.

Other than seeminly liking it's gas more so than other comparable sized brands I have, it's a great little tractor.

/ Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #6  
Based on the symptoms, my bet is it's something electrical. Probably a very easy fix.

/ Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #7  
   / Ford 2000 gas burner issues......again #8  
holley carbs are finicky. some of the most finicky I've seen.

on them 3 cyl.. i prefer oil burners... ont he older 4 cyl.. i prever the gassers with a MS or if nothing else.. a zenith carb.

for the holley.. you need the EXACT rebuild kit and to get that you need the carb number and tractor data taken to the dealer.

past that. DO check things like spark.

bad points, coil, wire, or key can be killing ignition.

same with plugs too.

is the advance working like it should as well?

what do the plugs say? ( read color )

past that.

I know many who have thrown in the towel on the finicky holley carb and bought a 400$ zenith and then had a real, working tractor.

pro / con?

holley can be pretty fuel efficient when working correctly.

zenith.. well.. they are spendy to change out.. but it's a one time fee.. past that.. they are not as fuel economical as a holley or a MS carb.

in the end.. *IF* it is a arb issue.. either dink with the holley till it is fixed and have a working tractor.. OR get a zenith and have a working tractor.

a bit of work an $$ on either option.

DO check spark first.