What ballast to use to total 1000 lbs

/ What ballast to use to total 1000 lbs #1  

Carl Bert

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B26, John deere X595
I am getting a 3PH ballast box which is just over 13 cubic feet and holds a total of 1000 lbs. My question is, what can I use to fill it that will weigh that much, or at least close to its weight capacity? I was thinking of wet sand, just not sure what 13 cubic feet of wet sand would weigh. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ What ballast to use to total 1000 lbs #2  
I am getting a 3PH ballast box which is just over 13 cubic feet and holds a total of 1000 lbs. My question is, what can I use to fill it that will weigh that much, or at least close to its weight capacity? I was thinking of wet sand, just not sure what 13 cubic feet of wet sand would weigh. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The general consensus seems to be 125 to 130 lbs per cubic for wet sand. But of course it depends on the dry sand you start with. So 13 cubic feet X 125 =1625 lbs

James K0UA

/ What ballast to use to total 1000 lbs #3  
Sand is roughly 90 to 120 lbs/cuft depending on the type

This site has density values for a variety of materials: Bulk Density and Specific Gravity Chart: S

Bottom line - Sand should meet your goal of 1,000 lbs with ease.

/ What ballast to use to total 1000 lbs
Wow, thanks guys. I was worried that I would have a hard time finding something to fill it with that would weigh the 1000 lbs that I needed. Obviously I was wrong. Thanks again