New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO?

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #1  

skosler

I just bought a 2012 T5070. The tach shows the 540 and 1000 rpm points, but also shows a 540E at a lower engine rpm level. I've read up on them and it would work perfect for some of my jobs, but NOWHERE in the operator's manual do they even mention the 540E or how to use it. I assume that it is either an option or a feature, since it is on the tach, but it does not mention it in the ops manual.

Also, the manual states that the 4wd lock is engaged when pressing down the brake pedals (which I see with the indicator lights). What is the purpose of this? Why would I want 4wd engaging when I am pressing down the brakes?

I have the 12x12 hyd power shuttle transmission, cab, 4wd, 540/1000 rpm pto.

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #2  
I just bought a 2012 T5070. The tach shows the 540 and 1000 rpm points, but also shows a 540E at a lower engine rpm level. I've read up on them and it would work perfect for some of my jobs, but NOWHERE in the operator's manual do they even mention the 540E or how to use it. I assume that it is either an option or a feature, since it is on the tach, but it does not mention it in the ops manual.

Also, the manual states that the 4wd lock is engaged when pressing down the brake pedals (which I see with the indicator lights). What is the purpose of this? Why would I want 4wd engaging when I am pressing down the brakes?

I have the 12x12 hyd power shuttle transmission, cab, 4wd, 540/1000 rpm pto.

I don't know about your 540E setting. I have a TD95D with th same markings on the tack but nothing in the owners manual. I have a gut feel that if you use the 1000 rpm pto and then dial back to the 540 E engine rpm you'll get 540 at the shaft and operate at a lower engine power. If you device can operate satisfactorily at that lower power level, you get the job done with less fuel. I haven't tried it yet. In fact I just thought of this as I was writing this reply. I guess I could figure this out by noting the engine rpms for 1000 rpm and 540E rpm. they should be at the ratio of 540/1000 =0.540.

Maybe RickB will come on and answer this.

As far as automatically engagin four wheel drive when braking, you'll be locking the driveline and braking resistance will be applied to all four wheels, not just the rear wheels.

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #3  
G'day behind your right elbow you should have a lever to change from 540 to 1000 there should be a position on there that is 540e as for the ,4wd it is as Jerry said it is to give you braking on all 4 wheels as in some countries you need brakes on all 4 if you can exceed a certain speed

Jon

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO?
There is not a lever on my tractor. I would think that it would mention it somewhere in the book, but I can't find it.

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #5  
G'day how do you change from 540 to 1000 then if there is not a lever ?

Jon

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO?
G'day how do you change from 540 to 1000 then if there is not a lever ?

Jon

You flip the pto output shaft around, and it guess it lines up with and set of gears inside.

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #7  
North American spec tractors do not have 540E PTO regardless of the indications on the tach face. Just the way it is. I guess the engineers figure we aren't smart enough to keep from running our 540 equipment at the 800 or so high ERPM would produce at the 'E' setting.
4WD engages when BOTH brakes are applied so as to provide 4 wheel braking (of sorts). Very common, almost universal among tractors that are equipped with electro-hydraulic 4WD engagement.

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #8  
I had seen some post on TBN before with guys claiming a 540E PTO and assumed that some tractors must have them. My LS has a 3 speed gear box (540,750,1000)that is how I get my E speed with the 750 gear and throttle back. Either some tractors do have the E pto speed on them or the folks posting about them didnt know what they were talking about.

/ New Holland T5070 540E Economy PTO? #9  
I had seen some post on TBN before with guys claiming a 540E PTO and assumed that some tractors must have them. My LS has a 3 speed gear box (540,750,1000)that is how I get my E speed with the 750 gear and throttle back. Either some tractors do have the E pto speed on them or the

I'm not at all certain who or what the comment above addresses.
My post (reply #8) referred directly to the NH T5070 specified in the original post. I should have been more clear about that.
Additionally, the information would apply to any New Holland or Ford tractor model that comes to mind.