How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs?

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #1  

lhfarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA
I spent part of Thanksgiving morning removing my belly mower and installing the snow blade on my '64 Cub Lo-Boy. It should be a simple process to install a few bolts and pins, but after 50 plus years the frame of the blade has worn or been twisted a little and there is a sequence that needs to be followed. I seem to have to relearn that sequence every year, making the process a lot harder and more frustrating that it should be. I could write things down and perhaps I need to compile an equipment journal so I can remember the best way to get the job done.

For example, I need to remember that I have to insert the long connecting rod/pin for the plow frame to tractor mount on the right side first. Then use a short pin to align the left side before driving the rod through to the left side. That seems simple enough and you would think I could remember that for 12 months, but I don't. I'm going get a notebook and write down what I re-learned this year. I'll keep it with my other tractor manuals so I don't loose it. Then I'll just have to remember to look at it next year.

But that seems low-tech and I'm really a visual type guy. I think a quick video might be more fun, or maybe it is just an excuse to buy one of those helmet/head video cameras. In any case, I'd like to know what you do to help make occasional/seasonal equipment changes easier.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #2  
"I seem to have to relearn that sequence every year, making the process a lot harder and more frustrating that it should be. I could write things down and perhaps I need to compile an equipment journal so I can remember the best way to get the job done."

I resemble this remark. You answer your own question. I do/have written down somewhere the size wrenches I need for each attachment change.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #3  
Neatly write on the equipment the number in sequence that needs to be done. Make sure you use a permanent marker or paint stick.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #4  
For example, I need to remember that I have to insert the long connecting rod/pin for the plow frame to tractor mount on the right side first. Then use a short pin to align the left side before driving the rod through to the left side. That seems simple enough and you would think I could remember that for 12 months, but I don't. I'm going get a notebook and write down what I re-learned this year. I'll keep it with my other tractor manuals so I don't loose it. Then I'll just have to remember to look at it next year.

Ihfarm...I am the exact same....things we only do once a year...how the heck can that be remembered...? I seem to always forget to write it down...I am usually in too big a hurry to take the time and then I pay for it the next year as I learn all over again...I am the same way with cell phone or TV remote features that are rarely used...or only used at set up and then when it gets wiped out and I have to go to a do over from the beginning..then I look for the instruction book ....again...:) So you are not the only one.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #5  
"I seem to have to relearn that sequence every year, making the process a lot harder and more frustrating that it should be. I could write things down and perhaps I need to compile an equipment journal so I can remember the best way to get the job done."

I resemble this remark. You answer your own question. I do/have written down somewhere the size wrenches I need for each attachment change.
:

:confused2:Add me to the list. After 30 years of change over on my Case 448, you'd think it would be automatic. Maybe it's Alzheimer's. Heck, it's all in the owner's manual and in my side notes.....but you have to get them out first. Dah-h-h

Even getting the FEL on/off of the newer Kubotas has to be done in the exact sequence for it to go smoothly. A video set to the tune of "Three Blind Mice" could help me.:cool:

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #6  
Since this is tractor-by-NET and we're all getting more tech savvy, thought I'd recommend Evernote if you're planning to write down your instructions. I've taken to scanning manuals and notes into Evernote, and now I always know where they are and can even "search" them. With a smart phone, I can find same notes from anywhere in the world (even my own pasture), add phone photos to existing notes, or create new notes in the field. Evernote is, unless it has changed, free... though there is a paid premium service that adds space and a few features.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #7  
I've got an inexpensive laminator from Staples. Maybe write down your routines, laminate them and tack them up wherever you do your installations/removals.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #8  
I think we've all had that issue in the past, at least those that are old enough. I fight this different ways. One thing is to buy a label maker. I've added stickers to tractors and UTV's for things like tire pressure's, lug nut torque's and socket sizes. I've written top link length's on attachments with paint pens.

The item I use most is an iphone. It can be used for videos and pictures of setups. On the phone's notepad, there is a file for each tractor with model and serial numbers, filter numbers, lubricants, and other information. Another note has set up and tip sizes for cutting torches. You can also get app.'s for welding machine settings. I never thought I'd turn into a techie, but its one of the most useful things I've ever owned.

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs?
As always you guys come up with some really great ideas! I'm going to try most if not all. I've downloaded Evernote and I'm going to record the snowplow sequence as a start.

Thanks!

/ How do you remember setup tips/techniques for occasional/seasonal equipment installs? #10  
I make notes in the margins of the owners manual.