Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Default Re: Use of ether for starting

We called it ether, but I'm sure the can said starting fluid, if there really is a difference. But as a young teen I had no idea what it would do. The old Case 730 was ornery when it got down to freezing. We parked it by the fuel barrel and that was about 75 feet from any electrical outlet so plugging it in was not convenient. If a little ether was good, more was better. I gave it a good shot and it wouldn't fire. I gave it some more, still nothing. Give it a big slurp and she took off. And proceeded to blow the top ring off the muffler. I never used quite that much again, but it still never occurred to me that it could blow out the rings. Glad it didn't though.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Gravely 8199G

3 cold starts and an ether explanation - YouTube
    Why you don't use ether and 6.9 tear down p4 - YouTube

I wonder if the tractor is "cold hearted" due to too MUCH ether use...
    skip to minute two on the Wagner one
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, LP RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, LP 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mowers, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2014 JD X750 diesel garden tractor, 1968 Cub Cadet 125 under renovation, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter, DR tow behind string trimmer

It makes me wonder, how much either are people spraying into their engines? I use it all the time in the dead of winter on both of my Cases. The dozer has a built in either spray system but I just do it myself. I've never needed anything more than the quickest of sprays. Just enough to get the cylinder to fire once. Are people going with the idea that one can is good for two or three starts?
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    It makes me wonder, how much either are people spraying into their engines? I use it all the time in the dead of winter on both of my Cases. The dozer has a built in either spray system but I just do it myself. I've never needed anything more than the quickest of sprays. Just enough to get the cylinder to fire once. Are people going with the idea that one can is good for two or three starts?

While nobody smart enough to come to this forum would do it, I have seen ether commonly used wtih 3-5 seconds of spray time. That's enough to do some serious damage. All you need is a 1/2 second shot... a quick spritz is it. Best to not use it at all.

As far as why is it "bad", well the stuff is so flammable that it can and does fire off as the piston is still going up. Then the inertia of the flywheel and the power of the starter is combating the pressure of the burning ether , burning fuel, burning oil in the chamber. It's also a VERY much faster flame front than normal combustion so the pressure spikes high and fast. The most common issue is broken rings, bent rings, blown out rings, then broken piston ring lands, then broken pistons, bend rods, bent cranks etc etc. Mechanics LOVE guys that spray that stuff like air freshener, the repair bills have sent many to fancy vacations, bought boats, etc etc.

I call it devil juice....

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

The "starting fluid" you buy is diluted and unlikely to cause damage to gas engines (due to the lower compression ratio) unless you go crazy with it. I've got an 8 HP Kohler on a chipper shredder that has never started cold without starting fluid. I don't know why it's so hard starting (I've tuned it, cleaned it, etc) but I've had it for 13 or 14 years now, using starting fluid every time I start it and it runs fine and uses no oil. That said, I wouldn't use it on my John Deere.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

I've used it for years, but not for 3-5 seconds. One of the funniest things i've seen with either was a buddy of mine was trying to start a ford pickup with a pretty shot motor. It was probably in the teens F. and he couldn't get his pos truck to start. Out came the either and a liberal amount was administered into the carb throat. The truck turned over and fired right up and just a split second later one of the valve covers blew up and almost made it through the hood. I believe all of us standing around hit the ground at about the same time. He eventually fixed the motor but not the hood.

Tractor
    53 Cub, 70's JD 410, Kioti 25hst

Quote Originally Posted by cqaigy2 View Post
    I've used it for years, but not for 3-5 seconds. One of the funniest things i've seen with either was a buddy of mine was trying to start a ford pickup with a pretty shot motor. It was probably in the teens F. and he couldn't get his pos truck to start. Out came the either and a liberal amount was administered into the carb throat. The truck turned over and fired right up and just a split second later one of the valve covers blew up and almost made it through the hood. I believe all of us standing around hit the ground at about the same time. He eventually fixed the motor but not the hood.
    that is way too funny!
    Kioti CK 25 Hydro: box blade, brush hog, rake, roto-till, grapple, bucket forks, de-stump cyl, Wallenstein Chipper
    John Deere 410 Backhoe Loader: 25 hoses ready to blow

Thus by the beneficence of Providence, we shall behold our empire arising, founded on justice and the voluntary consent of the people, and giving full scope to the exercise of those faculties and rights which most ennoble our species.

Samuel Adams

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

Quote Originally Posted by JerryK
    My 1981 John Deere 2240 has a factory port on the dash to screw in an ether can to give it a shot to aid in cold starting. Never had to use it, but it is there...
    Yeah Deere sells there own ether cans. Good stuff. Never had any issues with starting fluid.... Not sure what all the fuss is about.

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

[QUOTE= Never had any issues with starting fluid.... Not sure what all the fuss is about.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been able to start your tractor without the use of Ether?
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, AC B, '39 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400

All the time. But use starting fluid on some stubborn engines. Deere fluid has oil in it. But what do I know... :0p

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast