Use of ether for starting

/ Use of ether for starting #21  
We called it ether, but I'm sure the can said starting fluid, if there really is a difference. But as a young teen I had no idea what it would do. The old Case 730 was ornery when it got down to freezing. We parked it by the fuel barrel and that was about 75 feet from any electrical outlet so plugging it in was not convenient. If a little ether was good, more was better. I gave it a good shot and it wouldn't fire. I gave it some more, still nothing. Give it a big slurp and she took off. And proceeded to blow the top ring off the muffler. I never used quite that much again, but it still never occurred to me that it could blow out the rings. Glad it didn't though.

/ Use of ether for starting #23  
It makes me wonder, how much either are people spraying into their engines? I use it all the time in the dead of winter on both of my Cases. The dozer has a built in either spray system but I just do it myself. I've never needed anything more than the quickest of sprays. Just enough to get the cylinder to fire once. Are people going with the idea that one can is good for two or three starts?

/ Use of ether for starting #24  
It makes me wonder, how much either are people spraying into their engines? I use it all the time in the dead of winter on both of my Cases. The dozer has a built in either spray system but I just do it myself. I've never needed anything more than the quickest of sprays. Just enough to get the cylinder to fire once. Are people going with the idea that one can is good for two or three starts?

While nobody smart enough to come to this forum would do it, I have seen ether commonly used wtih 3-5 seconds of spray time. That's enough to do some serious damage. All you need is a 1/2 second shot... a quick spritz is it. Best to not use it at all.

As far as why is it "bad", well the stuff is so flammable that it can and does fire off as the piston is still going up. Then the inertia of the flywheel and the power of the starter is combating the pressure of the burning ether , burning fuel, burning oil in the chamber. It's also a VERY much faster flame front than normal combustion so the pressure spikes high and fast. The most common issue is broken rings, bent rings, blown out rings, then broken piston ring lands, then broken pistons, bend rods, bent cranks etc etc. Mechanics LOVE guys that spray that stuff like air freshener, the repair bills have sent many to fancy vacations, bought boats, etc etc.

I call it devil juice....

/ Use of ether for starting #25  
The "starting fluid" you buy is diluted and unlikely to cause damage to gas engines (due to the lower compression ratio) unless you go crazy with it. I've got an 8 HP Kohler on a chipper shredder that has never started cold without starting fluid. I don't know why it's so hard starting (I've tuned it, cleaned it, etc) but I've had it for 13 or 14 years now, using starting fluid every time I start it and it runs fine and uses no oil. That said, I wouldn't use it on my John Deere.

/ Use of ether for starting #26  
I've used it for years, but not for 3-5 seconds. One of the funniest things i've seen with either was a buddy of mine was trying to start a ford pickup with a pretty shot motor. It was probably in the teens F. and he couldn't get his pos truck to start. Out came the either and a liberal amount was administered into the carb throat. The truck turned over and fired right up and just a split second later one of the valve covers blew up and almost made it through the hood. I believe all of us standing around hit the ground at about the same time. He eventually fixed the motor but not the hood.

/ Use of ether for starting #27  
I've used it for years, but not for 3-5 seconds. One of the funniest things i've seen with either was a buddy of mine was trying to start a ford pickup with a pretty shot motor. It was probably in the teens F. and he couldn't get his pos truck to start. Out came the either and a liberal amount was administered into the carb throat. The truck turned over and fired right up and just a split second later one of the valve covers blew up and almost made it through the hood. I believe all of us standing around hit the ground at about the same time. He eventually fixed the motor but not the hood.

that is way too funny!

/ Use of ether for starting #28  
JerryK said:
My 1981 John Deere 2240 has a factory port on the dash to screw in an ether can to give it a shot to aid in cold starting. Never had to use it, but it is there...

Yeah Deere sells there own ether cans. Good stuff. Never had any issues with starting fluid.... Not sure what all the fuss is about.

/ Use of ether for starting #29  
Never had any issues with starting fluid.... Not sure what all the fuss is about.[/QUOTE said:
Have you ever been able to start your tractor without the use of Ether?:cool:

/ Use of ether for starting #30  

All the time. But use starting fluid on some stubborn engines. Deere fluid has oil in it. But what do I know... :0p