What motor lasts longer

/ What motor lasts longer #21  
Everything being equal what motor will last the longest, Diesel or gas???

To paraphrase a past Pres, all depends upon what the definition of equal is. :) Both designs can be made with same reliability/durability. Typ diesel engine is designed for industrial like service while the typ gasoline engine is designed for automotive service. Do you think the typ diesel that weights about twice a typ gas engine has no affect on it's durability? Remember the few diesels that were offer in some auto and were based on gas engine designs/blocks and internal parts and weren't all that successful? How often do you see a "gas" engine who's internal parts are as massive as typ seen in a diesel of the same displacement?

Intended for the same service, either design can be made to yield similar reliability/durability.

But maybe your definition of equal is something different.

/ What motor lasts longer #22  
For comparison purposes, can we compare a 3000 Ford Diesel Tractor and a 3000 Ford gas Tractor. Same year model with same daily work duties in the same climate, I pick the 3000 Diesel. Ken Sweet

/ What motor lasts longer #23  
To paraphrase a past Pres, all depends upon what the definition of equal is. :) Both designs can be made with same reliability/durability. Typ diesel engine is designed for industrial like service while the typ gasoline engine is designed for automotive service. Do you think the typ diesel that weights about twice a typ gas engine has no affect on it's durability? Remember the few diesels that were offer in some auto and were based on gas engine designs/blocks and internal parts and weren't all that successful? How often do you see a "gas" engine who's internal parts are as massive as typ seen in a diesel of the same displacement?

Intended for the same service, either design can be made to yield similar reliability/durability.

But maybe your definition of equal is something different.

Good call:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Remember them first GM 350 ? Diesel cars?:D

/ What motor lasts longer #24  
Neither will last very long without adequate maintenance...that being said, diesels are necessarilly built heavier as the compression ratios are close to 3 times what a normally asirpated gasoline engine are..ie. Maintenance intervals on diesels are much more important ...if you've ever had to replace a piston/and an injector on a Detroit 6-71, you'd understand. Let's start with a small crane...BobG in VA

/ What motor lasts longer #25  
I have some experience in this issue in boat motors, and since they are used in a constant heavy load, i.e. pushing water isn't easy, there is a huge difference in longevity. A gas motor, say a big block GM which is most common, assuming its auxiliary equipment like pumps don't fail, which they always do, will last somewhere between 1000 and 2000 hours before a complete rebuild. Diesel engines taken care of will go 7-10,000 hours; in constant daily use, and if run properly, two or three times that. The biggest problem is lack of use; daily operators like fishing boats or ferrys get huge hours out of their engines. Let an engine sit, and corrode from salt air, and good luck.
Also, once you get past about 400 hp, the question is moot; there aren't any gas motors putting out more than that, so from there up, the only option is diesel.
A true truck gas motor, like a Ford V-10, will likely run a long, long time if the cooling system is maintained.

But in an apples to apples comparison, I'd say diesel without question. Lower rpm and typically heavier construction.
Look how many large diesel tractors are sold at the 6000-7000 hour time. That seems to be an industry standard it is so common place.

Last edited:
   / What motor lasts longer #26  
Mickey_Fx said:
Both designs can be made with same reliability/durability.

Not a chance. Diesel x2 if not 3

/ What motor lasts longer #27  
I think the only area where there might be a convergence of the life of a diesel and gas engine is in light trucks and autos. In that market gas engines are doing better each year and diesel engines are often not heavy duty models that are tried tnd true. Put any real load on the engine and "real" diesels last way longer.

/ What motor lasts longer #28  
IMO/Experience a diesel will outlast a petrol (all being equal & in similar applications) easy 2 or more times....generally vehicle utes (i.e pick ups) also support this view unless the diesel has been built to a price?r the diesel is being used at high varing RPMS outside it's performance/design parameters &/or with many low idle RPM/lightly loaded appications....And the restrictive & hotter running Tier IV/V diesels will erode the durabilty "gap".

As to inline diesels being more durable than V's? It makes no difference in our experience & can quote many examples as below:
We have a old c. 400hp Steiger CP1400 tractor at 29,000 hrs (yes 29,000hrs), the Cat 3306 inline still purrs away using no oil & no reason to think anything is going to fail anytime soon .......we also have a c.400 hp 1982 Acremaster tractor at 36,000hrs (yes 36,000hrs) the V Mercedes engine is still fine - both engines are OEM fitment without rebuilds.

Given good maintenance history, use of premium lubricants, an adequate cooling system & clean air/fuel -the petrol engine durability will be influenced poorly by ethanol fuel use & the diesel engine similarly by the use of ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel- since 2006 almost all the European/Nth American fuel is ULSD) or biodiesel, in "non-electronic" gear such as these old tractors & non road registered equipment we use a mix of 70% diesel/30% waste oil (engine & hyd oil filtered by a centrifuge, then pressurised through static filter mediums) to better preserve engine life (& save a few $$$$'s in fuel costs )

/ What motor lasts longer #29  
Given good maintenance history, use of premium lubricants, an adequate cooling system & clean air/fuel -the petrol engine durability will be influenced poorly by ethanol fuel use & the diesel engine similarly by the use of ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel- since 2006 almost all the European/Nth American fuel is ULSD) or biodiesel, in "non-electronic" gear such as these old tractors & non road registered equipment we use a mix of 70% diesel/30% waste oil (engine & hyd oil filtered by a centrifuge, then pressurised through static filter mediums) to better preserve engine life (& save a few $$$$'s in fuel costs )

So you're saying that the ULSD is a poor choice of fuel? Interesting, because I was recently told the opposite. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, just wish I could see some facts that would support either side of the argument.

/ What motor lasts longer #30  
For comparison purposes, can we compare a 3000 Ford Diesel Tractor and a 3000 Ford gas Tractor. Same year model with same daily work duties in the same climate, I pick the 3000 Diesel. Ken Sweet

yup.

64 and older..... i'll take gas... 65+ I'll take diesel.. :)