What motor lasts longer

/ What motor lasts longer #41  
Hmmm. I wonder if a closer comparison might come from Europe where the proportion of diesel automobiles is very high. The uses of these vehicles would be very similar, so a comparison of maintenance and/or lifespan would be closer to an apples-to-apples comparison.
Now the question is, "does anybody have these data for Europe?"
BOB

Unfortunately we're increasingly comparing "apples with oranges", IMO any European maintenance/lifespan statistics are not relative to US, Canadian, Australian ..etc markets for many varied reason's, including:-
- Most European passenger vehicles/SUV engines are under 2.5litres (c.153CI) for historical reasons of capacity linked road taxes & rarely exceed much beyond 3litres *c.183CI)
- Geography/Population density means than annual European mileage is much less, with a predominance of short hauls often where the engine does not reach/sustain operating temperatures with consequential effects on wear/durability
- Still the preference for manual gearboxes in Europe, in unskilled hands an auto is more sympathetic to the narrow lower RPM/high torque ideal operating characteristics of a diesel engine
-..etc...

I'd suggest most likely "apples to apples" would be the same vehicle, similar engine capacity/output/performance characteristics - maybe a global comparison of say the 2006 model year on BMW X5 3litre inline 6 petrol (272hp) & diesel (265hp) as they shares some common engine components, similar weights, technical architecture & performance characteristics, albiet torque/gearing differs..
Maybe over to those high mileage X5's owners for input/experiences.....:anyone:.

Last edited:
   / What motor lasts longer #42  
I was trying to install the thought that if you run a gas engine at the same design rpms, stroke, etc of a diesel it may last a lot longer than the perception most people have.

Please define "same amount of work."

I'm not biased either way, I have a diesel engine, gas engines, and a multifuel engine that will run on gas or diesel. I just know that the characteristics of each are very different and I need an all-things-equal comparison criteria so I can put my head around it.

Your thought was good, but the example was poor. If you change it to a gas engine in a car going down the freeway but instead of being in OD at 75 mph, put it in front of a 20k trailer load with 4 stuck brakes in a stiff headwind and the car is in 1st gear at the red line rpm. How long will that engine last? I don't KNOW either, but my guess is that it will self destruct in hours to days. Your typical tractor engine pulling a bottom plow is at the same type of load, but it is expected to last 10,000 hours in that situation or more. Often much more.

/ What motor lasts longer #43  
Your thought was good, but the example was poor. If you change it to a gas engine in a car going down the freeway but instead of being in OD at 75 mph, put it in front of a 20k trailer load with 4 stuck brakes in a stiff headwind and the car is in 1st gear at the red line rpm. How long will that engine last? I don't KNOW either, but my guess is that it will self destruct in hours to days. Your typical tractor engine pulling a bottom plow is at the same type of load, but it is expected to last 10,000 hours in that situation or more. Often much more.

What about a gas engine on a old tractor? A tractor engine is different than a automotive application, a tractor can be ran full throttle all day long and not hurt.

/ What motor lasts longer #45  
What about a gas engine on a old tractor? A tractor engine is different than a automotive application, a tractor can be ran full throttle all day long and not hurt.

msny times that's a cooling issue.. you can take a sprts car with a 350hp capable engine and a cooling system capable for 160hp... the car only uses that 350hp on the hard accel in traffic.. otherwise it's pulling 100hp for most stuff... :)

many tractor cooling systems are rated for the 'rated' hp output of the engine..e tc.

/ What motor lasts longer #46  
How about these old Masseys?
Perkins diesel vs. a Continental gas engine. I'd go with the Perkins, they've been making industrial diesels for a long time.
Which is not to say a properly maintained Continental (is this the same co that makes engines for Piper Cubs and similar?) would not last
exceptionally long, for a gasoline motor...

/ What motor lasts longer
How about these old Masseys?
Perkins diesel vs. a Continental gas engine. I'd go with the Perkins, they've been making industrial diesels for a long time.
Which is not to say a properly maintained Continental (is this the same co that makes engines for Piper Cubs and similar?) would not last
exceptionally long, for a gasoline motor...

I have a 67 Massey 135 diesel with 5150 hours and it purrs like a sewing machine.

/ What motor lasts longer #48  
Slightly loaded question but my answer is Diesel.....

/ What motor lasts longer #49  
msny times that's a cooling issue.. you can take a sprts car with a 350hp capable engine and a cooling system capable for 160hp... the car only uses that 350hp on the hard accel in traffic.. otherwise it's pulling 100hp for most stuff... :)

many tractor cooling systems are rated for the 'rated' hp output of the engine..e tc.

It is mostly due to the car turning more rpm. There automotive engines that are have been built for industrial applications but they are governed. I know a guy that has a chipper with a ford 300 inline six industrial, I think it is even a reverse rotation. There are also SBF Fords for marine use but the have a Marine block.

/ What motor lasts longer #50  
Me thinks the underlying perseptions of almost everyone, makes the diesel seem like the answer. Those perseptions are very skewed.
You have to break that train of thought and realize, that it is not a fair comparison to group 2 engine types by internal or external size, which everyone does by nature. The fact is you are comparing a diesel that weighs almost twice the weight of the gas engine, and costs 2-3 times the price.
Compare same priced gas engine to a same $$ diesel, and you will likelyvfind your longevity results will be very even. Because for the same $$ you can buy a much more powerful gas engine that could be run much less loaded.