2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #1  

jcjdhicks

Tractor
2009 massey ferguson 2625
I bought a 2625 Massey back in 2009 brand new. It has been a tough tractor, but I believe it doesn't have the power it once had. I'm not sure on the mechanics of tractors. My question, What can cause a tractor to run slower than it normally did? It only has 3xx hours on it and it doesn't run like it did. I found a lever right where the dip stick is for the transmission that has a turtle and the rabbit on it, lever is placed at the rabbit. I just want some idea's on what to check before I take it somewhere.

Thanks ahead for any idea's and help :)

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #2  
Slower in ground speed or engine rpm? If the latter I had an issue when I first got my tractor and it was only a couple months old where all of a sudden it appeared to lose rpm's. Took it to the tractor dealer, he listened to it and came back with a quart of transmission fluid, poured it in the fuel tank and almost immediately all was good. I was told by the salesman when I bought it I could run the diesel sold at most gas stations with no issues, not true. Now I only use off road diesel and have had no issues since.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #3  
when I first got my tractor and it was only a couple months old where all of a sudden it appeared to lose rpm's. Took it to the tractor dealer, he listened to it and came back with a quart of transmission fluid, poured it in the fuel tank and almost immediately all was good.

Do not, I repeat; DO NOT pour transmission fluid into your fuel tank. I won't even open the can of worms surrounding this....

First thing I would do is check/change the fuel filter. Very common and easy solution. Also very cheap. This is if the engine is running slower, losing power.

If the ground speed is what is slower, I would think at 300+ hours you should be changing transmission fluid and filters. Could be a filter on that end also.

If you bought the tractor new as you say, you should have a manual. You should read it. It will tell you what the 'lever with the turtle and rabbit' is near the transmission dipstick. It will give you maintenance intervals/instructions, and probably has a troubleshooting section also.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #4  
Do what nspec said. When is the last time it was serviced? Fuel filter or air filter could be clogged.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #5  
Welcome to the forum. Check the manual and be sure all maintenance instructions and times have been followed. New tractors come with Break-in-oil in them and need to be changed after 50 hours. Is it smoking at all. The color of smoke will help identify any problems.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #6  
I have also seen the transmission fluid trick and it will run better for a little while but the damage it does is NOT worth it. Check air filter and service transmission as recomended. A clogged air filter will cause poor performance.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor
Thanks for all the ideas

It is ground speed.

I will grab the manual and start with the air filter and transmission filter.

Thanks again for all the help!

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #8  
Glad I posted to this thread and found out the transmission fluid added to my tank is not a good thing to do. I plan to ask the dealer the next time I drop by why he did that and are they aware it causes damage. Won't let them do it again and will never do it myself, only done one time so hopefully I got lucky and no damage was done. Had about 50 hours on it when they put it in and am now over 300 with no issues to this point, may have dodged a bullet.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor
I read my manual and found that the rabbit/ turtle button controls how fast the 3 point hitch lowers and raises lol.

I checked the tran fluid and it was low, so I added about a quart and it is at the max line. I have not had a chance to use it but I will post when I do. Also the Pto would not engage and I talked to a dealer (where I got the trans fluid) and he sold me the switch and told me to try that and it solved my problem for the Pto.

/ 2625 Massey Ferguson- I'm new to farming and having an issue with my tractor #10  
Good to hear your getting it fixed. Most 3point speed control knobs are dead center under the seat.