Broken zerk -- can't get it out

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #21  
IIf you have a tractor then the chances are 95% that you have broken off a Zerk. Keep that EZ-Out with your Zerks for future use.

The remaining 5% never have greased or are outright liars. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That may be true for newer tractors using pot metal zerk fittings. Older tractors from the 40s, 50s, 60s (A-C, Ford, JD, etc.) used real metal in the zerks, and they didn't break off unless seriously abused. I keep some NOS US-made Zerk fittings for replacing them on newer equipment when they inevitably break off after the third use.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #22  
I've found that a Torx bit or socket a size larger than the hole and tapped in with a hammer gives lots of bite. It also makes it easy to step up to whatever size ratchet, breaker bar, or extension you need to get the job done.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #23  
I never have any luck with EZ outs. Not with grease zerks anyway. I would go straight to the drill and tap and get back to it.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #24  
I give my vote to the screw type ez outs, the square ones break to easy:thumbdown:especially when your in a hurry:laughing:

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #25  
In a pinch, I've used the shank of an old small file. Tap it lightly while putting slight pressure to back the fitting out.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #26  
No matter your choice of tool, I encourage patience and a light touch. As a youngster, I worked as a job shop machinist, and I have seen more than a few, "Hey, guys, come take a look at this mess!" jobs come through the door. My favorite was a tractor with a broken zerk, a broken ez-out in the hole, a broken drill bit he'd used, unsuccessfully, to try and drill out the broken ez-out, and, lastly, a broken tap in the wallowed out hole he'd drilled next to the broken zerk. If it feels like it's about to break, it probably is.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out
LOL... gotta love the horror stories. I will take it slow and easy. I tried using a file, actually, with no success. I have been really busy and haven't had time to hit the hardware store yet. Meanwhile, my baby sits, and waits... :(

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #28  
what if it isn't a threaded in grease fitting? there are also grease fittings that are pressed in and are barbed like a hose barb.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #29  
what if it isn't a threaded in grease fitting? there are also grease fittings that are pressed in and are barbed like a hose barb.

This would require drilling out the broken stem and tapping threads for a threaded steel zerk fitting, imho. I'd add heavy grease to the drill bit and tap to prevent metal chips from getting into the works. Does Kubota use pressed in zerks? :confused3:

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #30  
a small pin punch may be able to crush the edge of the zerk in so that you can then peel it out.. then shrink the id of hte hole nad drive a new one in...