Broken zerk -- can't get it out

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out
Boostinjdm said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but 1 grease zerk has been kicking your *** for a week now. I think you may have learned all you're going to learn. I'd promise to post pics of the repair....

Thank you for your input.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #52  
Dull grey

from what i have seen.. the dull grey are the lowest end of them.

I'd chalk the fialure up so far to the inferior extractor and not so much your fault. the extractor rounde dout.. or you might have already had it out..

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #53  
Is there any way you can post a picture of this thing ?? We must not understand what you are dealing with. Since a zerk already has a centered hole it is usually easy to drill using the original hole as a pilot hole and starting with a bit just slightly larger as has been discribed. You must have something different ???

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #54  
You're killin' me here. If you'll pay shipping both ways, I'll fix the **** thing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but 1 grease zerk has been kicking your *** for a week now. I think you may have learned all you're going to learn. I'd promise to post pics of the repair....

Hey, Jim - welcome to the forum. These guys are a lot nicer than over on WW. Be gentle.

Oh, and I know your name is not Jim. :laughing: :laughing:

Hijack over. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #55  
Geez just clip a needle point adapter onto your grease gun and go pump some grease in there! :)

Okay! :D

I found some time to work on it today. I used my masonry bit according to Soundguy's recommendation (I have only one masonry bit but it was the proper size). It didn't let the EZ out bite. I drilled a little larger, then a little larger, and finally the EZ out bit. But it didn't unscrew. With vice grips on the EZ out and the pin in a vice it started to shred the outside of the EZ out (I had to use a cheater bar to achieve this). I then used progressively bigger drill bits until the zerk was pretty much completely gone. Then I used a chisel and hammer to knock out the remaining pieces. I cleaned it up a little and checked another zerk and the new zerk fits and send grease where it's supposed to go. Yay!

So here's my (hopefully final) next question. The pin has a bunch of metal shavings in it. How do I deal with these, and is it a big deal? Seems like it would be bad.

EDIT: my idea is to put about a tube of grease through it to push all the shavings out.

Last edited:
   / Broken zerk -- can't get it out #57  
Good you got it out. If you think you got some chips in the hole I would suggest back flushing with a can of WD40 using the little straw in the hole into the grease outlets. Then blow it out with air. Repeat until you're satisfied it's all clear and then put your zerk back in and reinstall the pin and grease. If you have a big enough chip in there and you push it in with grease then you might clog up your grease path.

Boostinjdm said:
You flush 'em out with brake cleaner or solvent before putting in the new zerk.

Right on, and will do. Thanks guys! It feels great to get this fixed and now I have a better idea how to tackle it next time! Although I can assure you I am going to be MUCH more careful when greasing now...

:)

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #60  
ditto ont he flush / backflush.. then grease it good and reinstall.

oh..a nd get a good set of extractors and a full carbide bit set.. :)