Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Tractor
    CCY SX3100

Default Re: Broken zerk -- can't get it out

Just wanted to comment on the broken zerk. If you break a zerk i think its time for a new tractor. Just sayin

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240HST

There is a tool on the kubota.com website for removing/retapping broken zerk fittings. I don't have one (yet) nor have I used one.
    If only I'd known then what I know now...except none of this existed back then.

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100, M6800

You know, the other half of the quality tool you buy and never use again thing is the piece of junk tool you buy for an intended one-time use and wind up using it daily for 30 years figuring that after the last use it will never be needed again.

I have an old Mammoth Mart (?) lug wrench I bought used at a yard sale in 1972 ! intending to replace it soon because it never fit the way I would have liked. It's still in the barn and still gets used and I can't bear to spend the $25 needed to buy a new one of quality. Ought to be a law against that as well.

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by lew61
    There is a tool on the kubota.com website for removing/retapping broken zerk fittings. I don't have one (yet) nor have I used one.
    Naw, they probably cost a lot more than that.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

reminds me of the 3.99$ pickle fork I bought at harbor freight in oh.. 97.. so that I didn't have to buy the 12$ one from napa.. I had a 8n i was replacing the TRE's on.

so far.. it's done about 20 other tractors and vehicles since then..

Quote Originally Posted by sixdogs View Post
    You know, the other half of the quality tool you buy and never use again thing is the piece of junk tool you buy for an intended one-time use and wind up using it daily for 30 years figuring that after the last use it will never be needed again.

I have an old Mammoth Mart (?) lug wrench I bought used at a yard sale in 1972 ! intending to replace it soon because it never fit the way I would have liked. It's still in the barn and still gets used and I can't bear to spend the $25 needed to buy a new one of quality. Ought to be a law against that as well.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

That's why I like to hit Flea market's or auctions that list older quality tools. Farm auctions with boxes of wrenches etc., looking for the odd ball, use just once in a while stuff. Just got to be at the right place at the right time... A box may have several larger wrenches, but not a set. If I need to cut one for a special purpose, it doesn't hurt near as bad, as buying a new one to do that...
    Still have several large adjustable flat jaw "monkey wrenches" that fit the bill to hold something, or straightening something I've bent. Put a 4' cheater pipe on it, and have at it...

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Finally I have just started running to Lowes or TSC on the fly for the one off items. At least there someone is standing by to help me find it.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

i hear ya.. I flea market and yard sale stuff like that. of course.. nowadays you can buy a new chniese socket set for 3$ at harbor freight

but those are the best wrenches to cut / bend. the onsies or cheap ones.

ditto ont he monkey wrench parallel jaw adjustable pliers. much superior tot he slip jaw adjustables we have today..

Quote Originally Posted by DJ54 View Post
    That's why I like to hit Flea market's or auctions that list older quality tools. Farm auctions with boxes of wrenches etc., looking for the odd ball, use just once in a while stuff. Just got to be at the right place at the right time... A box may have several larger wrenches, but not a set. If I need to cut one for a special purpose, it doesn't hurt near as bad, as buying a new one to do that...
    Still have several large adjustable flat jaw "monkey wrenches" that fit the bill to hold something, or straightening something I've bent. Put a 4' cheater pipe on it, and have at it...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678