Broken zerk -- can't get it out

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #71  
Just wanted to comment on the broken zerk. If you break a zerk i think its time for a new tractor. Just sayin:cool2:

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #72  
There is a tool on the Kubota.com website for removing/retapping broken zerk fittings. I don't have one (yet) nor have I used one. :2cents:

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #73  
You know, the other half of the quality tool you buy and never use again thing is the piece of junk tool you buy for an intended one-time use and wind up using it daily for 30 years figuring that after the last use it will never be needed again.

I have an old Mammoth Mart (?) lug wrench I bought used at a yard sale in 1972 ! intending to replace it soon because it never fit the way I would have liked. It's still in the barn and still gets used and I can't bear to spend the $25 needed to buy a new one of quality. Ought to be a law against that as well.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #74  
lew61 said:
There is a tool on the Kubota.com website for removing/retapping broken zerk fittings. I don't have one (yet) nor have I used one. :2cents:

Naw, they probably cost a lot more than that. :D

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #75  
reminds me of the 3.99$ pickle fork I bought at harbor freight in oh.. 97.. so that I didn't have to buy the 12$ one from napa.. I had a 8n i was replacing the TRE's on.

so far.. it's done about 20 other tractors and vehicles since then.. :)

You know, the other half of the quality tool you buy and never use again thing is the piece of junk tool you buy for an intended one-time use and wind up using it daily for 30 years figuring that after the last use it will never be needed again.

I have an old Mammoth Mart (?) lug wrench I bought used at a yard sale in 1972 ! intending to replace it soon because it never fit the way I would have liked. It's still in the barn and still gets used and I can't bear to spend the $25 needed to buy a new one of quality. Ought to be a law against that as well.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #76  
That's why I like to hit Flea market's or auctions that list older quality tools. Farm auctions with boxes of wrenches etc., looking for the odd ball, use just once in a while stuff. Just got to be at the right place at the right time... A box may have several larger wrenches, but not a set. If I need to cut one for a special purpose, it doesn't hurt near as bad, as buying a new one to do that...
Still have several large adjustable flat jaw "monkey wrenches" that fit the bill to hold something, or straightening something I've bent. Put a 4' cheater pipe on it, and have at it...

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #77  
Finally I have just started running to Lowes or TSC on the fly for the one off items. At least there someone is standing by to help me find it. :D

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #78  
i hear ya.. I flea market and yard sale stuff like that. of course.. nowadays you can buy a new chniese socket set for 3$ at harbor freight

but those are the best wrenches to cut / bend. the onsies or cheap ones.

ditto ont he monkey wrench parallel jaw adjustable pliers. much superior tot he slip jaw adjustables we have today..

That's why I like to hit Flea market's or auctions that list older quality tools. Farm auctions with boxes of wrenches etc., looking for the odd ball, use just once in a while stuff. Just got to be at the right place at the right time... A box may have several larger wrenches, but not a set. If I need to cut one for a special purpose, it doesn't hurt near as bad, as buying a new one to do that...
Still have several large adjustable flat jaw "monkey wrenches" that fit the bill to hold something, or straightening something I've bent. Put a 4' cheater pipe on it, and have at it...