Broken zerk -- can't get it out

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #1  

ddb123

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bad Boy MZ 42"
Well, I broke a grease zerk on my loader. It is on the pin right near the QA point. It sits down in there a little. It broke off flush and smooth against the surrounding metal. There is nothing for a socket to grab. I tried using a "Grabit" damaged screw remover, didn't work. I tried a very small chisel to try to turn what's left of the zerk counterclockwise and out. Didn't work. Any ideas? I'm frustrated and it's been 10 hours, need to add grease.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #2  
E-Z Out, the correct diameter will work. Ken Sweet

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #3  
I've used E-Z Outs too with great success on sheared zerks, it's the cheapest/easiest option

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #5  
They make a remover that is just a tapered piece of square steel [kind of like a horse shoe nail]. Works wonderful. Just drive it in the round hole that is left, and counterclockwise remove. You would think it was made specificly for your task.

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out
Do you guys know where they sell EZ outs?

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out #9  
Sears, McMaster-Carr.com, grainger.com, Home Depot, Lowes, your local ACE hardware store, tractor Supply

/ Broken zerk -- can't get it out
Right on! I have hope again :) I picked up a bunch of zerks at harbor freight earlier and didn't find an EZ Out. Hopefully I'll have time to hit O'Reilly or Sears tomorrow. I don't like having something broken on my tractor.