Does HP matter?

/ Does HP matter? #101  
Thats percentages for you.:confused2:

Think about EXACTALLY how you are saying it.

23 is 76% of 30. That means that the 23 is 24% smaller than the 30. so you are using 30 as your BASE number. IE: 7hp difference between the two. So 7hp smaller than 30hp is 7/30........which is 24%

30 is 130% of 23. That means that the 30 is 30% larger than the 23. In this case you are using 23 as the BASE number. So...7/23=30%

Its all in what you are comparing. When I am saying that the 23 is 24% smaller than 30, the number 30 is what you are comparing the HP difference to.

When I am saying that the 30 is 30% larger than the 23, the number 23 is what you are comparing the HP difference to.

Let my try a different prespective and see if this helps. Lets forget HP and tractors all together.

Lets say someone weighs 200 lbs and wants to go on a diet. They loose 50lbs. That is 25%. They now weigh 150lbs.

With me so far.....

Now that 150lb person gains that 50lbs back. They just increased their weight by 33%, since the 50lbs they added is 1/3 more than they weighed.

Did that help?? Clear as mud right:laughing:

And to think they use math to figure out the origins of the universe???? just to let everyone know. I pm'd LD to attempt to correct him on his math . I pm'd so as to think not to show him up in public I was so cock sure of myself. Instead I was the one corrected , made a stupidly obvious blunder not carrying a decimal point or I should say not realizing what the decimal point was telling me, was patiently guided to the correct function (which although I understand the math, still strikes me as dumba$$ in its configuration) and will never involve myself with math again. To top it all off, I just came in after changing a gas line on one of my chainsaws which will still not run right as the gas line is too small in diameter, blew a hydraulic hose on the splitter, got into a fight with my darling bride about another stupid thing and ate a big piece of humble pie. Not one of the best days I've had. Anybody got a question on logging or antiquated engines that used to send funny cars into the 8's or art history (please don't) so I can look smart for a bit?

Last edited:
   / Does HP matter? #102  
And to think they use math to figure out the origins of the universe???? just to let everyone know. I pm'd LD to attempt to correct him on his math . I pm'd so as to think not to show him up in public I was so cock sure of myself. Instead I was the one corrected , made a stupidly obvious blunder not carrying a decimal point or I should say not realizing what the decimal point was telling me, was patiently guided to the correct function (which although I understand the math, still strikes me as dumba$$ in its configuration) and will never involve myself with math again. To top it all off, I just came in after changing a gas line on one of my chainsaws which will still not run right as the gas line is too small in diameter, blew a hydraulic hose on the splitter, got into a fight with my darling bride about another stupid thing and ate a big piece of humble pie. Not one of the best days I've had. Anybody got a question on logging or antiquated engines that used to send funny cars into the 8's or art history (please don't) so I can look smart for a bit?

UMMM................................................................................
...........................................................................................
...........................................................................................
Good luck with the saw and splitter:thumbsup:
And the little lady:mur:

/ Does HP matter? #103  
You are dating yourself Arrow with antiquated 8 sec funny cars. I'm guessing cast iron 392 hemi's, small blowers, single mags and fuel pumps, 9" tires and a 1/4 mile of tire smoke. :)

Brian

/ Does HP matter? #104  
Thanks… no one has the low pressure hydraulic line (that's open today,) the chainsaw is alleged to need drilling out to fit the new gas line which I refuse to do and will get this thing in there if I have to use Astro Glide. Am now babysitting the 2 year old grand daughter so everything has come to a halt outside. As I look happily down at my grand daughter as she voices the usual sounds that only strike me as gibberish, I cringe at the day if I ever have to explain to her how one thing can be 24% smaller but the thing it is 24% smaller than is not 24% bigger. No wonder we have a drug problem.

/ Does HP matter? #105  
Thanks… no one has the low pressure hydraulic line (that's open today,) the chainsaw is alleged to need drilling out to fit the new gas line which I refuse to do and will get this thing in there if I have to use Astro Glide. Am now babysitting the 2 year old grand daughter so everything has come to a halt outside. As I look happily down at my grand daughter as she voices the usual sounds that only strike me as gibberish, I cringe at the day if I ever have to explain to her how one thing can be 24% smaller but the thing it is 24% smaller than is not 24% bigger. No wonder we have a drug problem.

Just let the teachers teach her the math maybe, and you teach her much more important things instead.

/ Does HP matter? #106  
You are dating yourself Arrow with antiquated 8 sec funny cars. I'm guessing cast iron 392 hemi's, small blowers, single mags and fuel pumps, 9" tires and a 1/4 mile of tire smoke. :)

Brian
Cheez Brian, 9" tires were the very first tires they put on these things when they were in the 10's and the only reason they used those was because they were available from super stockers. We soon graduated to 10 to 12 " slicks. Yup, One Mallory Super mag on the SOHC ford engines, 7 to 1 heads and configured grip adjustments with changing rear end ratios from 4:10's to 4.89's. Just about nothing computerized and all guess and experience. A car with a thousand hp then was quite strong. Now a days at mid track and clutch locked up they are doing over 10,000 hp. (yes , you read that right)

/ Does HP matter? #107  
Several years ago my best friend was looking at moving up from his 8 sec gas digger into a nostalgia fuel car. By then I'm pretty sure nobody was running iron blocks everybody had moved to the Donovan's, 450 cu in max I believe, still had to run the iron heads (which I think they have changed that rule now), 6-71 blowers, single mag, single fuel pump, 10" tire, about 3000 hp, no electronics, multi-stage slipper clutches, the dragsters were dipping into the 5's @ 250mph. I had started doing a lot of research and talking to people on how to do it. He ended with a jet dragster which was a whole bunch of fun, 5.5 sec @ 300mph.

/ Does HP matter? #108  
Torque gets the flywheel Rollin and hp keeps it rolling. So yes, to be efficient hp does matter

/ Does HP matter? #109  
Sorry, didn't read all the pages but did anyone point this out? The question was about brush hogging. HP is torque x RPM, both engines make the same torque in the example tractors, and Tractor data is saying that the larger Deere has 5 more pto HP. If the PTO RPM is a constant 540 and the PTO HP is 5 hp different between the two tractors then the torque at the PTO must also be higher. So in fact if PTO use is important to you I would say that a much better number is the PTO HP.

/ Does HP matter? #110  
Sheesh.... what a long way to go.....
sorry couldn't make it thru all the pages.
I'm an engineer, I can do math too, just choose not to this time.
Simple version:
I have a 3038E.
It's got a cute little turbo. Some people like turbo-charged engines, some have reasons why they don't.
If U want the turbo, get the 3038E, if U want naturally aspirated, get the 3032E.
Pulling ground engaging or mostly loader work: 3032E will be the same for traction.
Using more for PTO work like mowing, a little extra PTO horsepower on the 3038 might help.
Now drink a beer.
See, isn't that better?

Good luck!

ok now break out the hard liquor and start talking about the use of synthetic motor oils for turbo-charged engines....