Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030 R4 Tires

Default Re: Does HP matter?

Quote Originally Posted by MARKMILES77 View Post
    This is not a case of me trying to choose between buying a 3032E or a 3038E. They were just examples.
    It is me trying to understand in a theoretical sense how torque and HP relate to each other and which is more important for tractors.

Mark
    Look at torque and horsepower from this facet, torque is the amount of twist that can be applied to a shaft. Horsepower is how fast the torque can be applied.
    Bob, n8zcc

Kubota B3030 with R4s
    LA403, 60" bucket with hooks, bolt-on tooth bar, ratchet rake
    BH76 with 16" bucket and thumb
    Kubota Pallet Folks
    Bush Hog 35-06 72" Rear Blade
    Bush Hog SBX60 Box Blade
    Bush Hog Razorback RZ160
    Kubota ZD323-60
    Kubota RTV900 with Curtis hydraulic angle plow

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1433V

Quote Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
    Look at torque and horsepower from this facet, torque is the amount of twist that can be applied to a shaft. Horsepower is how fast the torque can be applied.
    I agree and would add another non-technical comment, torque will get you there, HP keeps you there. What I mean is torque is the power to accelerate, etc...but HP allows you to maintain the work / speed etc...

That is why in the automotive world Torque is all important for 0-60 times but HP is critical for Top Speed numbers.

So yes it does matter, (but only if you actually will use those extra horses).

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry/MT

HP=(Torque x RPM)/5252 so torque and horsepower are inseparable.
    This is all that anyone needs to look at. HP and Torque are always equal at 5252 rpms. I would choose the tractor that creates the most torque up to and at pto speed. End of story. Who cares if your engine makes more HP at higher rpms, these are tow and work machines not race cars.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Quote Originally Posted by jejeosborne View Post
    This is all that anyone needs to look at. HP and Torque are always equal at 5252 rpms. I would choose the tractor that creates the most torque up to and at pto speed. End of story. Who cares if your engine makes more HP at higher rpms, these are tow and work machines not race cars.
    Yikes! No thanks! Me thinks the torque at 5252 rpms isn't gonna be so good.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota/B7800

Quote Originally Posted by RaydaKub

No thanks!? You disagree?

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by RaydaKub View Post
    ... How about HP will always be half the Torque at 2626. He'll be more comfortable with that.
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Massey

Quote Originally Posted by LD1 View Post
    If torque is the same, work that CAN be done is the same.
    incorrect

You can ALWAYS gain torque by gearing. Thats no secret. But HP remains constant (minus a little frictional losses).
    correct

If you can gear the the higher HP machine to do more work, you can ALSO gear the lower HP machine to do just as much work. (IF the engine starts off with the same torque)
    incorrect

And the RPM's have nothing to do with the time element of HP. All the RPM's mean is THAT is the point that they measured the HP. Two totally different things. RPM is just the point at which the measurment is taken.
    incorrect

You can take a 100hp engine with 100ft lbs of torque, and then you can take a 20hp engine with the SAME 100ft-lbs, and the work they are ABLE to do is exactally the same. The 100hp engine will just be quicker is all.

incorrect

If you are actually interested in physics, Your local community college would probably offer classes. It's probably the best start to truely understanding such a complicated subject.

LD1
    Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBlack View Post
    If you are actually interested in physics, Your local community college would probably offer classes. It's probably the best start to truely understanding such a complicated subject.
    Wow, I dont even know where to begin.

For starters, I think you are just trolling for an argument. Simply trying to tell me I am wrong (when I know I am right) without anything to back up your statement.

If you are going to tell me I am wrong, please explain to the crowd why YOU "think" I am wrong??

And the comment about taking a class at a community college.......are you just that big of a prick on the internet, or are you that way in person too

Now....unless you want to join in on the discussion, in an adult and grown up manner, and share your points of view with why you feel I am wrong, I suggest you go find another forum to troll.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Massey

If you didn't try to cover up your insecurity, and lack of true knowlege on the subject while resorting to small minded name calling, I'd actually convince myself to take the time to explain to you why your postings on this subject are wrong. I think you must be re-writing physics books here.
    The very fact that you take my recomondation to study the subject for real if you want to tell others about... it as an insult... says it all
    Why invest the time/money in a specialized areaof knowlege when you can just pop up a wiki-pedia screen and post on your favorite site as an expert?
    Oh, by the way, I hope if you every need serious help from a profession, like surgery, You might want to start hoping now, that the doctor did real studying at a college, not just reading your internet education on a tractor forum. You might be mistakenly calling the person with real in-depth knowlege needed a troll.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

First off, I'm not an authority on the subject. But I recall another thread talking about the burn rate for diesel in the cylinder and that because of that rate, an ideal rpm for max torque was down around 1800-2000, maybe up to 2400, I don't recall.

But aside from that, I don't want a diesel that I want to keep running at that rpm. The clatter at start up would be horrendous.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast