How do I hook skidding tongs to this?

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this? #1  

Tollster

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, BX23
I got this to help clear my property, I want to chain the log to the tractor hitch (Not the 3 point) for dragging, and use this to elevate the front of the log for easier skidding using 20" tongs. I have not found a ring large enough to fit over the quick attachment point on the top, its about 1.5" wide and much longer. I hate to wrap a chain around it and render it useless for quick attachemnts, any ideas? Tractor is a BX23, so I don;t have a lot of height on the 3 point due to the smaller rear tires.

508330_lg.jpg

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this? #2  
Fabricate a lifting boom pole that fits the quick hitch ?
draw in the top link to increase lift.
could even mount a cable or strap winch to the boom for winching trees while felling.
An old motor lift winch with a pump cylinder will increase lift too ?

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this?
Be careful pulling from to high.

I only want to elevate the front of the log and use the other chain on the rear hitch for pulling. I wanna pull the log up under the quick hitch, then elevate it about 6" or so to keep it off the rocks here in the NE.

I was leaning towards the grab hook too,but I am not set up for welding here at my house. I think I could remove the hook that on there now,and maybe use all three bolts to have something welded up with a grab hook on it. Maybe grind a hooks back down some, give it a 35 degree bevel on it and have someone do a partial pen joint with 3/8 reinforcment or so.
Ya'll see any concerns or interferances with that idea? I think the tongs I asked for C'mas have a 3/8 or 5/8" grab hook on them.

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this? #6  
You could just take the qa into any welding shop, find one not to busy and they would be glad to take in a quick job or a 6 pack over to a friends who has a welder.

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this?
You could just take the qa into any welding shop, find one not to busy and they would be glad to take in a quick job or a 6 pack over to a friends who has a welder.

I like the second idea better!

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this? #9  
Just use a 5 or 6 link length of chain, running the top bolt through an end link; and hang the tongs grab hook from the hanging links. If you can't get a bolt through an end link, use a piece of cable to create a two or three run loop around that top bolt, and the end link, tied in a knot or cable clamp.

No welding involved, and it's centered. You can also allow for some height adjustment on your tong lift, while still pulling the full weight from the "draw bar" location.

Since there IS no drawbar on a BX23, attach to a drawbar grab hook.

Paul

/ How do I hook skidding tongs to this? #10  
I only want to elevate the front of the log and use the other chain on the rear hitch for pulling. I wanna pull the log up under the quick hitch, then elevate it about 6" or so to keep it off the rocks here in the NE.

I was leaning towards the grab hook too,but I am not set up for welding here at my house. I think I could remove the hook that on there now,and maybe use all three bolts to have something welded up with a grab hook on it. Maybe grind a hooks back down some, give it a 35 degree bevel on it and have someone do a partial pen joint with 3/8 reinforcment or so.
Ya'll see any concerns or interferances with that idea? I think the tongs I asked for C'mas have a 3/8 or 5/8" grab hook on them.
My concern is that you may make unnecessary changes now.........

Might be best to wait til Santa drops them off, post pics, and go from there. Measurements will be critical with machines as small as ours.:)