Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

Default How do I hook skidding tongs to this?

I got this to help clear my property, I want to chain the log to the tractor hitch (Not the 3 point) for dragging, and use this to elevate the front of the log for easier skidding using 20" tongs. I have not found a ring large enough to fit over the quick attachment point on the top, its about 1.5" wide and much longer. I hate to wrap a chain around it and render it useless for quick attachemnts, any ideas? Tractor is a BX23, so I don;t have a lot of height on the 3 point due to the smaller rear tires.

Kubota BX-23, BH, FEL, MMM, Various Bro-tek attachments, Exmark Lazermark.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Tractor
    JOHN DEERE 2320

Default Re: How do I hook skidding tongs to this?

Fabricate a lifting boom pole that fits the quick hitch ?
    draw in the top link to increase lift.
    could even mount a cable or strap winch to the boom for winching trees while felling.
    An old motor lift winch with a pump cylinder will increase lift too ?
    2012 JD 2320, HOMEMADE CANOPY, 54" FRONT BLADE, 54" MID DECK MOWER, HYDRAULIC ANGLE 60" REAR BLADE, QUICK HITCH, STAINLESS FRONT MOUNT SPRAY TANK W/BOOM, 200CX LOADER W/ 61" BUCKET, HOMEMADE BALLAST BOX,HOMEMADE BUCKET GRAPPLE
    1998 "BIG DOOLEY" Chevy K3500 Crew Cab (36.000 miles & counting)

United Steel Workers Union 12934

Tractor
    M 9540 Kubota

Be careful pulling from to high.
    ]We need more people to WORK for a living and less people to VOTE for a living!
    (proven on 11/6/12)

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

what about welding a grab hook or two on top of it?
    Rick

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyiron View Post
    Be careful pulling from to high.

I only want to elevate the front of the log and use the other chain on the rear hitch for pulling. I wanna pull the log up under the quick hitch, then elevate it about 6" or so to keep it off the rocks here in the NE.

I was leaning towards the grab hook too,but I am not set up for welding here at my house. I think I could remove the hook that on there now,and maybe use all three bolts to have something welded up with a grab hook on it. Maybe grind a hooks back down some, give it a 35 degree bevel on it and have someone do a partial pen joint with 3/8 reinforcment or so.
    Ya'll see any concerns or interferances with that idea? I think the tongs I asked for C'mas have a 3/8 or 5/8" grab hook on them.
    ASME Certified welding inspector specializing in Visual, Mag Particle, Dye Penetrant, and Ultrasonics

Veteran Member tungularafishcamp's Avatar
    Tractor
    kubota L2800, 1/2 of a L48

You could just take the qa into any welding shop, find one not to busy and they would be glad to take in a quick job or a 6 pack over to a friends who has a welder.
    Rick

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

Quote Originally Posted by tungularafishcamp View Post
    You could just take the qa into any welding shop, find one not to busy and they would be glad to take in a quick job or a 6 pack over to a friends who has a welder.
    I like the second idea better!

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455

Most logging tongs already have a large ring on them, just hang them from the hook on the QH.

Like these: http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB1...ing-Tongs-Ring

-skidding-tongs-ring-web180230-jpg

The KISS principle.
    Last edited by kennyd; 12-02-2012 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added picture and link
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components.

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    Kubota BX-24 - other goodies listed in my profile.

Just use a 5 or 6 link length of chain, running the top bolt through an end link; and hang the tongs grab hook from the hanging links. If you can't get a bolt through an end link, use a piece of cable to create a two or three run loop around that top bolt, and the end link, tied in a knot or cable clamp.

No welding involved, and it's centered. You can also allow for some height adjustment on your tong lift, while still pulling the full weight from the "draw bar" location.

Since there IS no drawbar on a BX23, attach to a drawbar grab hook.

Paul
    2008 BX-24 with MMM, brush hog, york rake, rear blade; handcrafted 5-tine forks; clamp-on pallet forks; bolt-on/off ripper tooth for BH bucket; Bro-Tek real wheel spacers and BH thumb; Piranha toothbar; Ratchet Rake; 3pt snowblower; extra LED lighting.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
    I only want to elevate the front of the log and use the other chain on the rear hitch for pulling. I wanna pull the log up under the quick hitch, then elevate it about 6" or so to keep it off the rocks here in the NE.

I was leaning towards the grab hook too,but I am not set up for welding here at my house. I think I could remove the hook that on there now,and maybe use all three bolts to have something welded up with a grab hook on it. Maybe grind a hooks back down some, give it a 35 degree bevel on it and have someone do a partial pen joint with 3/8 reinforcment or so.
    Ya'll see any concerns or interferances with that idea? I think the tongs I asked for C'mas have a 3/8 or 5/8" grab hook on them.
    My concern is that you may make unnecessary changes now.........

Might be best to wait til Santa drops them off, post pics, and go from there. Measurements will be critical with machines as small as ours.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast