When your having a bad day.........

/ When your having a bad day......... #1  

soonerd483

Tractor
JD 5101e
This happened behind my house yesterday. Very fortunate the old farmer did not roll.

Attachments

• image-1338816986.jpg
    image-1338816986.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 532
  • image-2793058863.jpg
    image-2793058863.jpg
    556.9 KB · Views: 533
   / When your having a bad day......... #3  
Looks like it sheared the axle off. I have seen that happen on hay rake wheels but not on a tractor. Looks to be a fresh break not one that has been broken for some time.

/ When your having a bad day......... #4  
yep.. that would be a bad day.. don't ask what else can go wrong because it will.. Lou

/ When your having a bad day......... #5  
I hate when that happens.

Couple years ago my neighbor was tooling up canyon to an alfalfa field on one his older Fords (dunno which model, he's got a few) and the front axle did that. The whole outfit did a abrupt left turn through an irrigation ditch and wire fence. He stayed in the seat and wasn't hurt either, thank God. Great guy but I don't think he owns a grease gun so that wreck wasn't much of a surprise. :rolleyes:

/ When your having a bad day......... #6  
My dad's Case 930 had the axle break like that once. But his was very fortunate. I happened only about 20 feet from the shop and the tractor rested with the fender (!!) holding it up resting on the broken off wheel. So it only settled some on one side a few inches. Still a nasty repair, but at least it was pretty convenient.

/ When your having a bad day......... #7  
If you look close at the front of the tractor in the second pic you will see a chain. I would bet that they were towing the tractor because it wouldn't move. Now they know why.
Bill

/ When your having a bad day......... #8  
Not uncommon. Duals on a tractor designed for singles. Driving on a gravel road. Outside dual runs on the grader windrow, lever arm is so large either the axle shaft or the outer wheel bearing goes. When I worked for Case IH our combine final drives were very weak for the operator who wanted to add his own bin extensions, then drive home with a full bin, corn head, duals, and run that outer dal on a grader windrow. Life calculated in seconds.