Tires ag tires mounted backwards...

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #1  

diggerdave

I just picked up a small tractor. First thing I noticed was that the rear tires (ags) were on backwards. Could
there have been a reason for this, other than owner ignorance? and should I fix immediately or can it wait till
winter when down for other other work?

thanks,
dave

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #2  
Hi,

If you swap them shouldn't that make things right?

Seems like you could do that pretty quickly...no need to take the tires off the rim or anything.

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #3  
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="blue">...Could there have been a reason for this...</font>

Well, I've seen front ag tires reversed mainly for loader use, but I suspect someone wanted more "width" and swapped both rears for a wider stance... but possibly never considered the chevron direction... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #4  
We've reversed them for use in sand. Digging in on sand does you no good as you'll 'hop' and likely break an axle. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif At our place on the river we are often asked to pull some poor guy out of the sand because they thought their 4WD pickup would traverse the sandbar so they could get closer to the water. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif They would soon find out that most tires aren't worth squat on loose sand. we keep the fergie TO-20 at the river with the tires reversed and a bit low on air pressure.

I said all that but I'm sure that's not why your's got turned around.

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Could
there have been a reason for this, other than owner ignorance? )</font>

Maybe the guy always drove in reverse ! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #6  
Maybe he wanted to be able get out of the trouble he got into /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #7  
Its all part of the Completion Backwards principle, talk to ya later.

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #8  
On combines.......

We used to reverse the tread on combines that had a fast reverse. That would let us cut into a mud hole and then back out easily when we started to get stuck.....

Worked well for that.

Ron

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #9  
Re: On combines.......

If you are working in mud or snow or pulling hard in loose dirt, you'll want to get them pointed right. In sand, you'd want to leave them as they are.

No reason to be in a hurry about changing it, if you don't have any traction problems.

--->Paul

/ ag tires mounted backwards... #10  
Main problem is that you will have to put up with everybody telling you they are on backwards. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif