Tractor
    KUBOTA L3940HST BACKHOE

Default What is the best way to smooth out a 1.5 road

It used to be the best but now it has some boulders coming through and dirt plowed to the sides over the years. Grader blade? Scrape box ? I dead would hel. Thanks mark

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

Default Re: What is the best way to smooth out a 1.5 road

you have two choices,, one is to dig the boulders up and remove or two add road base back to the road and smooth out over the stones.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

I would a cutter to cut the shoulders down tight, then round up to kill. Then
    a back blade 8' wide or so with an aggressive angle to move the material from
    the edges to the middle of the road. Then a box blade to smooth it out. From
    what you said, it sounds like you may also need to add more material in the
    thin spots too. If you have areas that rut up or pot-hole, you should put down
    geo-textile to keep the stone from migrating down.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

I would use a rearblade to pull the fines back to the middle that has migrated to the sides and ditches. I would then run a landplane on each side of the road to smooth out the material. Might need to repeat this with the grader and landplane to get enough fines up on the roadway and clear the ditches properly. I should add that when running the grader blade on the second pass with the road smoothed somewhat will give you a better finish on the edges. I would suspect that most of the material is still there, just misplaced to the ditch. You may have to add some material in a few spots if still bad but recover as much as you can first.

Elite Member

Landscape rake angled towards center.

Come back and kick the big ones to the side.

Plan on a top fill crusher run in near future.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    KUBOTA L3940HST BACKHOE

thanks for the help I will head off to try it un a few weeks

Silver Member
    Tractor
    CT 235

All of the above are good, except they forgot the most important step - Compaction, compaction, compaction.
    At each step you will need to compact the material moved. A pneumatic roller is best for gravel. but running you tractor over the road on numerous passes will work. If you have access to a vibratory roller even better, but watch for bridging (un-compacted spots in the roller path) Also try and achieve a good crown in the road when done - water standing on the road is not good. A 2% to 4% cross slope should be the minimum. The best time to work the material is after a rain. Working dry will get you nowhere. you will need some moisture to have it last.
    Hope this helps
    2011 CT 235 with FEL, Filled rear tires, 6 foot Land Pride Box Blade, Ansung Terra Force YJR074 tiller, Ansung Terra Force 42 inch pallet forks, Ford 503 3pt side delivery rake, IH 1300 9 ft sickle mower, Hesston 4550 baler, along with rear flood light on the tractor.

Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

powerscol is right about compaction being important but I find most on these forums don't have anything worthwhile to compact with. For what few driveways I have done I use the loaded dump trucks to pack materials down and tip the trucker. For building foundations I use a larger vibratory roller and a plate compactor working in lifts of a few inches at a time.

In this case it appears to me that gusman2 needs to recover the materials and get them back in place on his road. This is the larger of a few issues.
    Last edited by jenkinsph; 12-07-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Tractor
    Kubota L3010DT, Dresser TD7G Dozer

Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    powerscol is right about compaction being important but I find most on these forums don't have anything worthwhile to compact with. For what few driveways I have done I use the loaded dump trucks to pack materials down and tip the trucker. For building foundations I use a larger wibratory rolloer and a plate compactor working in lifts of a few inches at a time.

In this case it appears to me that gusman2 needs to recover the materials and get them back in place on his road. This is the larger of a few issues.
    This is what I think too. Pack as best you can with what you have. Normal use will pack it further and expect wheel ruts to probably develope. Don't let them get very far just redo the drive. After a few cycles of this you won't get wheel ruts anymore.
    When I do my road I often grade it then pack it with my 1 ton with a load on. Some places pack down more than others because the loose surface material is thicker in some spots. Then I turn right around and regrade and repack it again. This helps alot in maintaining the drainage contour and helps keep the wheel ruts from reappearing.
    "If you're not making any mistakes then you're not doing anything"

L3010DT, Farmi JL290 Winch, ATI Grapple, BearCat 5" Chipper, 6' Rear Blade,
    7' Sickle Bar, 5' Land Plane Grading Scraper, Dresser TD7G Dozer