lift arm hydraulics

/ lift arm hydraulics #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Noticed something about my 24D the other day that the maunal doesnt seem to talk about. I figure its either common knowledge (to everyone but me) or its a problem. When I have an implement on the 3pt hitch and raise it then turn the engine off the implement stays in that position. However if I have the arms raised w/o an implement the arms drop slowly after the engine is turned off. Is there a 'sensor' that detects load which in turn maintains hydraulic pressure...or is this a problem? jimg

/ lift arm hydraulics #2  
I'm not aware of any kind of load sensor.. but even if there was, there would be no way to 'maintain' pressure on the system after the engine was off.

Perhaps it is more of a question of position. Perhaps the control valve has an area that weeps/leaks by slightly more than other areas. In any case.. If your 3pt holds up a load for a substantial amount of time after the engine is off.. then you don't need to worry..

Soundguy

/ lift arm hydraulics
Thanx! Just so I understand...once the engine is off the arms should stay in the current position unless theres a leaking valve...right? Im supposed to have another item fixed under warranty and would like to get this taken care of if its also a problem.

/ lift arm hydraulics #4  
Since it is under warranty and you are having other stuff done I would get the dealer to check it out and repair it or explain to you why that it is doing this drift down thing. I suspect that in its unloaded condition it is not exerting enough pressure to keep a check valve or something like that closed properly and is allowing leak by. In my opinion this is not good and could get worse after the warranty expires /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ lift arm hydraulics #5  
Sounds like with no load it's not expanding the 'cups' and is allowing the arms to leak down. Under a load they expand and hold the lift up. You should get it checked while under warranty because eventually they'll quit holding under load too.

/ lift arm hydraulics
For future reference...it is a problem and the dealer is fixing it as a warranty item. jimg

/ lift arm hydraulics #7  
Have you checked to see if there is a filter? Dirt can cause intermittent bleed down. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ lift arm hydraulics
Oh, one more thing...the problem isnt intermittent. It happens all of the time and is easily reproduced.

/ lift arm hydraulics #9  
As one person said, the oil is leaking by with no real pressure on the 3pt, when it has a load on it it is forcing the cups (seals) out & they hold better.

Nearly all 3points leak down over time with the engine off. There are leak-down times for your tractor, & if it leaks down faster than the book value, the dealer will fix it.

--->Paul

/ lift arm hydraulics
Thanx for the input...the dealer has since come to collect the tractor so it can be fixed.