Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Default Re: Tractor making me sick?

You know, i've been thinking about this thread for a while and noticed that, starting this past spring, my exhaust seemed to smell different. Kind of a noxious smell that I attributed to changes in fuel. I did feel a little queezy and noticed the same odd smell on several tractors and thought about starting a thread about it but never got around to it. Maybe I'm just smelling things or maybe it could be a factor?

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

Quote Originally Posted by QwikDraw
    Thanks guys. I'll check it out. yes it does have AC and cabin filters...and I did see a little mold on the roof. It also has some water stains on the fabric on the roof so I may have had a door not fully closed that allowed some water in. I hope this is the problem.

It's no fun to be scared to get in your tractor!
    Did you ever figure this mystery out?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    farmall cub John Deere 310 Backhoe Loader Ventrac 4131

Would like to hear what is problem is. There is supose to be some new kind of spray for molds but I don't know what it is.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    '13 Yanmar Lx4100

Weird, out of all the a/c systems i've seen that have had mold I've never seen one make someone sick, although im definatly sure it could happen. I'd be getting a CO tester and running the tractor around simulating some work, in that small of cab it wouldnt take a lot of CO to really screw with you. Seems like the easiest test.

Tractor
    LS P7030 CPS, Ferris IS3100z w/37 HP Kawasaki

Also make sure you are not recirculating cabin air. Most have this feature and warn about not doing it for very long.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

About a month ago I have some bush hogging and run the machine a few days and...yup, get the worst case of the stomch bug ever...like for a week straight. I also have some other wierd symptoms like I have an ear infection, sulfer tasting burps and then my knee start to ache...

Never heard of CO poisoning affecting you with any of those symptoms. CO poisoning causes redden (flushed) complexion, head aches, dizzyness and death but non of these symptoms. Got to be some virus or chemical contamination. There are kits that have little filters that you collect air sample in and then send to a lab for analysis for molds. Might try that.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    My tractor is an old MF

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler View Post
    About a month ago I have some bush hogging and run the machine a few days and...yup, get the worst case of the stomch bug ever...like for a week straight. I also have some other wierd symptoms like I have an ear infection, sulfer tasting burps and then my knee start to ache...

Never heard of CO poisoning affecting you with any of those symptoms. CO poisoning causes redden (flushed) complexion, head aches, dizzyness and death but non of these symptoms. Got to be some virus or chemical contamination. There are kits that have little filters that you collect air sample in and then send to a lab for analysis for molds. Might try that.
    Gary, I sent the OP and email asking if he solved this mystery. It would be interested to find out the results..

Tractor
    Timber King TK711

Hey guys, the only thing I have done is spray the interior down with Lysol. Other then that I've been working 6+ days a week and really haven't had time to figure it out.

I'll keep you posted when I do.
    Ted
    2002 Timber King TK711 - Quadco 5660
    2000 Timberjack 608S - Waratah 622
    2012 Komatsu PC160 LC8- Denis Cimaf 125D
    2006 Timberpro 810F - Rotobec Grapple/Saw
    2008 Supertrak 140 CTL-C - FAE Mulch head
    2012 John Deere 332D - Dymax 14" Timberwolf tree shear - Fecon Bull Hog - Davco BC705HS - Ammbusher DL66 - Bradco 72" Brush Cutter - Bradco Root Rake Grapple
    2008 New Holland T5070 - Bush Hog 2715L

TR Landworks, LLC

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

weird..

I'd put a CO detector in there at least..

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

If it's CO2 there may be a problem with the engine.

"Is carbon monoxide a problem with diesel engines? Usually not, although any engine, including diesel, produces CO when combustion is incomplete. Diesel (compression ignition) engines run with an excess of air and often produce less than 1200 ppm CO. When diesel fuel is burned incompletely or when overloaded and over-fueled (rich mixture), diesel engines will produce high concentrations of CO. Diesels usually pollute the air with particulates and nitrogen oxides, not CO. "

Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering @ Iowa State Univeristy

Although I was in a 2008 International Prostar, and rolled out of the bunk in the middle of the night in Lake Station In.. I choked and gagged for over an hour before I could breathe 'semi-normal' again. Turned out to be a bad EGR valve on the truck.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234