Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040

Default Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question!

So looking at upgrading my L3200 and thinking about a M7040. Adding some new acreage to the mix so I NEED the larger tractor. I do have some thick brush to motor thru while shredding but my vision is to have all that cleared away and trimmed up above canopy height, but that will take awhile. I know I would love the shade from the Texas sun in the summer time but I just wonder why many times it'll take before I tear it off with a low hanging branch. Any thoughts/comments, other that skip the canopy and buy a cowboy hat!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    jinma284

Default Re: Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question!

if your tractor has a roll bar then adding a canopy is only 2 inches more, so, why not? Even if it does get in the way you can take it off while you are clearing head room through your wood lot then reattch it. On my tractor there are only 3 bolts on each side that hold it to the roll bar.

Silver Member

My JD tractor came with the canopy. I soon realized that it was of no help the first 2-3 hrs and last 2-3 hours of the day due to the sun's position. It works well when the sun is overhead.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

I'd say get the canopy. The last tractor and the one I have now both have canopies. I used them both in the woods and around overgrown fence rows with out busting one.... yet.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040, Kubota B2710

I have a canopy on my m7040. We have put it through some low trees and its a little banged up but it is still functional and looks fine- better to mess up the canopy than my face!

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Go ahead and go for a heated and cooled cab. I love mine and it is easy enough to avoid low branches with one while you trim the trees up high enough to get under them. I think they are much more sturdy also than a canopy as branches cant get underneath to rip them off. If you are paying $40K for a tractor whats a few thousand more to have the comfort you deserve.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M7040, Kubota B2710

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
    Go ahead and go for a heated and cooled cab. I love mine and it is easy enough to avoid low branches with one while you trim the trees up high enough to get under them. I think they are much more sturdy also than a canopy as branches cant get underneath to rip them off. If you are paying $40K for a tractor whats a few thousand more to have the comfort you deserve.
    We didn't pay near 40 grand for our m7040! I'm thinking it wasn't very much over 30 WITH an 8 ft HD bushog.

Tractor
    New Holland T5070

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fowler
    I've had open station, open station w/canopy, and cab. Go cab if you can afford it, trim stuff as necessary to clear cab.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -
    Benjamin Franklin

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
    -Winston Churchill

Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 HST 4WD

They are easier to damage in the woods than you might think. If you can get a deal on one while buying the tractor and take it, but don't mount it until you are sure that it will not hit branches. Unless it is a heavy steel one smaller limbs than you might think can damage it. And, redka has a valid point as well. I have a good bit of woods where I live and I generally flop the roll bar 1/2 down in the woods. It is the type with the pin lock on it.

Banned
    Tractor
    L5450

Quote Originally Posted by redka
    My JD tractor came with the canopy. I soon realized that it was of no help the first 2-3 hrs and last 2-3 hours of the day due to the sun's position. It works well when the sun is overhead.
    But it keeps the rain* off ALL day. LOL

*except the sideways rain on windy days

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast