Canopy Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question!

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #1  

vpracer

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M6-111
So looking at upgrading my L3200 and thinking about a M7040. Adding some new acreage to the mix so I NEED the larger tractor. I do have some thick brush to motor thru while shredding but my vision is to have all that cleared away and trimmed up above canopy height, but that will take awhile. I know I would love the shade from the Texas sun in the summer time but I just wonder why many times it'll take before I tear it off with a low hanging branch. Any thoughts/comments, other that skip the canopy and buy a cowboy hat!

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #2  
if your tractor has a roll bar then adding a canopy is only 2 inches more, so, why not? Even if it does get in the way you can take it off while you are clearing head room through your wood lot then reattch it. On my tractor there are only 3 bolts on each side that hold it to the roll bar.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #3  
My JD tractor came with the canopy. I soon realized that it was of no help the first 2-3 hrs and last 2-3 hours of the day due to the sun's position. It works well when the sun is overhead.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #4  
I'd say get the canopy. The last tractor and the one I have now both have canopies. I used them both in the woods and around overgrown fence rows with out busting one.... yet.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #5  
I have a canopy on my m7040. We have put it through some low trees and its a little banged up but it is still functional and looks fine- better to mess up the canopy than my face!

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #6  
Go ahead and go for a heated and cooled cab. I love mine and it is easy enough to avoid low branches with one while you trim the trees up high enough to get under them. I think they are much more sturdy also than a canopy as branches cant get underneath to rip them off. If you are paying $40K for a tractor whats a few thousand more to have the comfort you deserve.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #7  
Gary Fowler said:
Go ahead and go for a heated and cooled cab. I love mine and it is easy enough to avoid low branches with one while you trim the trees up high enough to get under them. I think they are much more sturdy also than a canopy as branches cant get underneath to rip them off. If you are paying $40K for a tractor whats a few thousand more to have the comfort you deserve.

We didn't pay near 40 grand for our m7040! I'm thinking it wasn't very much over 30 WITH an 8 ft HD bushog.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #8  
Gary Fowler said:

I've had open station, open station w/canopy, and cab. Go cab if you can afford it, trim stuff as necessary to clear cab.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #9  
They are easier to damage in the woods than you might think. If you can get a deal on one while buying the tractor and take it, but don't mount it until you are sure that it will not hit branches. Unless it is a heavy steel one smaller limbs than you might think can damage it. And, redka has a valid point as well. I have a good bit of woods where I live and I generally flop the roll bar 1/2 down in the woods. It is the type with the pin lock on it.

/ Canopy or No Canopy, that is the question! #10  
redka said:
My JD tractor came with the canopy. I soon realized that it was of no help the first 2-3 hrs and last 2-3 hours of the day due to the sun's position. It works well when the sun is overhead.

But it keeps the rain* off ALL day. LOL

*except the sideways rain on windy days