Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Re: raising trusses for pole barn

I did this by myself for 12' walls on my garage using a 'man lift'. Reason I didn't rent a heavy duty forklift was the distance from the rental place. I could easily attach the man lift to my truck and get it home. My trusses were 'attic trusses' with a 12/12 pitch so I had to get quite high and let me tell you, I won't do it again. Took me a weekend to do it and the last few, especially the ladders were a real pain. I would rent a crane next time and get another couple guys to help. Installing trusses by yourself is challenging.
    2011 Kubota MX5100, BH92, BH BB72, Walco Bush Hog and Snowblower, Wallenstein 310 Splitter & Forks

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle241 View Post
    My trusses were 'attic trusses'
    Those can be easy to damage.

The truss plates tend to want to bend on the bottom cord, where the center splice is, if they are picked up improperly.

Tractor
    Bobcat S185 skid steer - Ferris IS500Z - JD GT235

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle241 View Post
    I did this by myself for 12' walls on my garage using a 'man lift'. Reason I didn't rent a heavy duty forklift was the distance from the rental place. I could easily attach the man lift to my truck and get it home. My trusses were 'attic trusses' with a 12/12 pitch so I had to get quite high and let me tell you, I won't do it again. Took me a weekend to do it and the last few, especially the ladders were a real pain. I would rent a crane next time and get another couple guys to help. Installing trusses by yourself is challenging.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. I own a 35' tow behind boom lift, but have never used it to set trusses. The bucket capacity is only 500 lbs., so I guess it would depend on the weight of a couple of guys plus the truss.
    If that wouldn't work I'd suggest a snorkel type lift. I'm thinking much more weight capacity. Fasten the truss to it, have a couple guys in the basket and a guy on top of each wall to follow your layout marks and make sure it's OK for side to side fit.
    Time loves to be wasted. From that waste their is no salvage - Henry Ford

Also - E Terra E 60 SSQA backhoe • Erskine 73" blower •TSC QA boom pole • Bradco 48" forks • JLG T350 Boom Lift • 2001 Ford F450 w/Telsta A28D aerial lift • CAM Superline 6x12 dump • (2) Kristi 7x18 enclosed • 2014 Ford F250 Super Cab gasser • 2007 Mustang GT • 2007 Crown Vic P71 Police Interceptor

Tractor
    massey 65

I used my 65 MF with a telescoping boom on it for 12' high walls and had 4 helpers, it went very fast.I think the boom might have been designed for a 3 pt. hitch but I put it on my front end loader. I borrowed it from a guy at work.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK30, Kioti DK45hst

This is how I did it for 12 ft trusses . 4" pvc pipe over a single Paynes fork. Worked great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -100_1104-jpg  

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123