Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE /W FEL

Default raising trusses for pole barn

I am building a pole barn with 16 foot sides (height for the trusses). Does anyone have any experience of raising the trusses this high? I was thinking of buying a pole boom for my tractor? Is this possible? If so why type of pole boom would I purchase?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    555DTC Farmall 200

Default Re: raising trusses for pole barn

I have 12 foot walls and we had a crane come in for a few hours, was WAY easier. With 16 foot walls your peak will be 20 plus feet up. Cost was like $250 for 2 hours and like $100 per hour after that. We got all ours set, 12 of them in under 3 hours.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

Your tractor will work for setting low trusses, such as a small garage or shed. Anything with walls higher than about 10 feet will likely require something else. We rented a telehandler (extending forklift) one time that worked great. Your 16 foot walls may require a crane though, depending on the pitch of the trusses.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

I would really look a big telehandler or crane. I have set more than my fair share in conditions like you have. It is not fun, takes a lot of experienced carpenters with no fear, and no choice the matter. It could go real bad real fast. Trusses are pretty floppy.
    A steel spacer bar that hooks two is a must. If you are set on this you need a plan and that will include building your jib. I don't think any company will make a tool for a tractor loader that do what you want as the risk of failure is beyond great. I love a challenge but setting trusses is enough with out risking life for false economy.
    Good luck, pay up the insurance, and say a prayer.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat 773

You can rent high-lift gear for a few hundred bucks over a weekend. Worth the money.

If you are going to be up in the air pick up a fall arrest harness ($70 at Northern Tool). I strung a bull line that I use for directing tree fall (13K lb breaking strength) between eyes set in the posts at the gable peaks and then clipped into that while I set my trusses and sheathed the roof. It is annoying, but not nearly as annoying to live with a broken back or limb from a fall. Be safe.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE /W FEL

Thank you for all the suggestions. I might consider having this done with a contractor. Was trying to save some money but building something 16 feet high might be out of my league.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat 773

It really won't be hard as long as you have the right tools. A useful trick to lifting trusses is that you set them upside down, tack a toe block in and then rotate them to vertical using the equipment. My son and I did ours - height off the ground isn't the problem, the span (and hence weight) is the thing to worry about. If you set them upside down and rotate them using the machine or via a pull line connected to your tie off line then it really isn't bad.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Quote Originally Posted by gwiley
    It really won't be hard as long as you have the right tools. A useful trick to lifting trusses is that you set them upside down, tack a toe block in and then rotate them to vertical using the equipment. My son and I did ours - height off the ground isn't the problem, the span (and hence weight) is the thing to worry about. If you set them upside down and rotate them using the machine or via a pull line connected to your tie off line then it really isn't bad.
    Your are correct in your method, but that first ones a real bear with a 16' wall height. Bracing and plumbing are pretty rough with 10'-12' being your max bucket lift. With span and pitch determining peak of ridge every movement is amplified from operator to the end of the jib.

Tractor
    Kubota BX23

Just saw this on CL yesterday. May give you some ideas!

tractor 3-point hitch lifting crane - 24' tall for trusses

What I did was create a long pole using thick wall pipe about 10ft. long with a spreader bar at the end. Slide it over the end of my bale spear. I was able to lift my steel trusses with vertical I beam into place. My walls are 14ft. and 16ft. in the center.

Good luck
    2008 JD 5103, FEL, 6' Frontier, 6' HD boxblade, 7' Landscape rake, More impliments to come, Bobcat (clark) 742 SS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast