Tractor
    1994 Ford 545D

Default New to site and new to a Ford 545D. A few questions (re: block heater, manuals)

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and new to owning a tractor. I just bought a 1994 Ford 545D.

I'd like to add a block heater. Any advise (e.g. block heater vs. radiator hose heater / not interested in magnetic). I see screw-in block heaters advertised; can anyone direct me to a diagram or picture of where it installs? I don't see an obvious port (I've installed on Ford trucks).

I'd like to get a set of manuals (operators, service, parts). Know of a good source?

Thanks in advance and thanks for this site; it helped greatly while shopping for my tractor.

Platinum Member

Default Re: New to site and new to a Ford 545D. A few questions (re: block heater, manuals)

Go talk to the parts guy at your nearby New Holland dealer. The block heaters are pretty generic, most made in Winnipeg. They just replace a frost/welch plug in the block and are better, in my opinion, than something in a radiator hose.
    The Opti-Mist

Tractor
    New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Ferguson TO-30

Default Re: New to site and new to a Ford 545D. A few questions (re: block heater, manuals)

The block heaters are a much better device as a winter starting aid then a radiator hose heater. They install in a core plug in the block and are available for most Fords. I have a timer set to to turn the block heater on two hours prior to feeding on our feeding tractor.

Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Block heaters replace a freeze plug like the guy have already said. You could measure the plug and get one at a autoparts store.
    Here are the manuals forsale.