Is this a stupid idea?

/ Is this a stupid idea? #1  

Teikas Dad

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200
I got a ballast box for my tractor and filled the box with 50lb bags of sand which fill the box up to the top. I would like to be able to throw a couple chains, or set a chainsaw in the box and things like that, but the sand bags don't allow enough room.

I started thinking about other ways to put weight in the box that would be less volume than the sand.

Would this work or is a stupid idea? I've got a bunch of 12v batteries that are worn out and they weigh around 40lbs each. The batteries don't take up as much room as the sandbags, so I could get more weight with less volume. If I made a slurry of water and baking soda and poured it into the cells on the batteries, purpose being to neutralize the acid, then rinsed the battery cells out with water, would that be a safe effective way of using the old batteries for weight? I'd like to put blocks of lead in the ballast box but it's too expensive. I know cutting open a battery to get the lead out isn't a good idea but I wasn't sure about trying to neutralize the acid then flushing them out and using the acidless battery.

I don't make any claim at being an electrical engineer or playing one in TV and you guys are a lot smarter than me, so, is my idea workable?

/ Is this a stupid idea? #2  
I'd stand back, sounds like you could get a face full..

/ Is this a stupid idea? #3  
That would work. I'd probably neutralize it like you suggested, but then cut the cases open and just use the lead inside. that would take up the least amount of space. You could also go to a metal shop or welding shop and buy up the "drops and ends". Probably get it for the scrap price. iron is a LOT heavier than sand.

/ Is this a stupid idea? #4  
Erm, I don't think it is a good idea. I'd avoid nasty old battery byproducts.

/ Is this a stupid idea? #5  
I had a battery blow up on me once. After that I had a whole different attitude about batteries. They are potential bombs with stuff in them that can blind for life.

/ Is this a stupid idea? #6  
I had a battery blow up on me once. After that I had a whole different attitude about batteries. They are potential bombs with stuff in them that can blind for life.

Yeah... but if he opens the tops, dumps it out, flush it, neutralize it... then not an issue.

But you are 100% right, there is a lot of energy in a car battery and that energy can do harm -- quick.

/ Is this a stupid idea? #8  
If you put a couple in the bottom of a garbage can, then filled it with water, you could do it sorta safely.

/ Is this a stupid idea? #9  
I think the old batteries are always going to be a nasty proposition. I would suggest the "drops" idea is a good one.. start collecting old pieces of steel, I think you will be ahead.

James K0UA

/ Is this a stupid idea? #10  
old car weights too.. melt em down... that or steel cut offs...

heck.. concrete is cheap.. ;)