Traction Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing?

/ Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #1  

Nashville

Tractor
Currently tractorless...JD 26G being traded for a new tractor.
I graduated from the buying advice forum today. I picked up a JD 4520, MFWD, PowrReverser, 400x loader, and 72" box blade. I'll be clearing brush, moving cut trees, blazing a few trails, pushing/discing a little dirt, and smoothing out some poorly tended pasture. Come spring, I'll be mowing it. This is a 17 acre, mostly ridge top property so it's not completely level. In the transition from ridge top to bottom land, it's steep. My Gator 825i zips up and down without a problem, but it's pretty steep. I don't imagine I'll be transitioning from top to bottom with any regularity, but it needs to happen on occasion. I'm a newbie to a tractor of this size. Any advice on how to keep the shiny side up while working on sloping terrain would be most appreciated. Thanks!

/ Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing?
   / Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #4  
What type of tires are on your new rig?

Agricultural

Industrial

Turf

??????????????

/ Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing?
   / Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #6  
I live on up and down land, and I have benefited from "loaded tires".. putting liquid in the tires 3/4 fill. It makes it more stable as it lowers the center of gravity. I also recommend proper ballast on the 3pt, and going slow and never ever moving when the bucket is higher than the hood, unless just creeping up to fill a dump truck or something similar.. In other words don't take off with the bucket raised. I move heavy materiel's all the time around on my rock pile, and keep the bucket as low as I can get it and not hang up on the ground. Keep one hand on the stick to drop it to the ground also if needed in an instant.

James K0UA

Last edited:
   / Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #7  
Don't ever stop to change gears on a grassy slope. I'd been up and down this hill before so I had no fear stopping to change gears on it. And I did not want to wait until I got to the bottom. Big mistake. As soon as I moved the gear lever the tractor started to slide. Then I lost control of it. All I could do was point it straight downhill and ride it out. Covered 200 yards pretty fast! I did everything right per my education here and Youtube. Had the seat belt on, did not lock the brakes, no sharp turns. Made it down safely and said a prayer afterwards. Probably going to load the rears halfway to keep my CG low in the spring. I'm going to keep reading these forums.

/ Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #8  
Don't ever stop to change gears on a grassy slope. I'd been up and down this hill before so I had no fear stopping to change gears on it. And I did not want to wait until I got to the bottom. Big mistake. As soon as I moved the gear lever the tractor started to slide. Then I lost control of it. All I could do was point it straight downhill and ride it out. Covered 200 yards pretty fast! I did everything right per my education here and Youtube. Had the seat belt on, did not lock the brakes, no sharp turns. Made it down safely and said a prayer afterwards. Probably going to load the rears halfway to keep my CG low in the spring. I'm going to keep reading these forums.

I see you "took the ride"...another thing, stay in 4wd going down a hill..the rears can break loose especially if you are loaded up front in the bucket, because they get light and break traction. Just the compression braking of the engine alone can cause the rears to lose traction, and if you are in 2wd touching the brakes will not help, only hurt. If you stay in 4wd the contact patch of the front tires will hold back the tractor because they are "heavy" and have good traction with the surface, since the driveline hooks everything together you stay in control even though the rear tires alone would not hold traction. Don't ask me how I know this:shocked:

James K0UA

/ Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #9  
I live on hills. Go slow and read all you can. I dont want anyone to die on a tractor but people do all of the time. Wear your seatbelt ALWAYS! Go up and down steep hills dont traverse. Keep your bucket tip up. Know where any big holes are. Too much ballast is better than too little. Set your back tires wide. Remember that your front wheels pivot point is in the middle of the tractor. Merry Christmas.

/ Pulled the trigger...now how do I keep from rolling this thing? #10  
Put your rear tires in wide position. If your 4520 is old enough it may have rims with bolt on centers. You can change them to a wider position. This really helps stability of the tractor.