Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    John Deere 4200 MFWD HST w/ JD 420 FEL w/ 61" loader bucket & toothbar & JD 37 BH w/ 12" bucket

Default Re: basic q\'s from a new operator

I idle mine down once I'm inside the barn. I don't need the extra RPM's, fuel consumption or fumes. I put my FEL in the 'float' position to take any load off of it. I'm usually running with my backhoe rather than a 3PH and I set the bucket gently down as well as the stabilizers. That takes a little finesse' as there is no 'float' position but the idea is pretty much the same. I want them resting on the ground with no load in either direction.

As to 2WD, MFWD and differential lock, I usually have the tractor in 2WD for just getting to wherever I need to go. If I start spinning one rear tire I'll put the differential lock in. If I'm going to be using the loader I'll put it in MFWD. If I get a spinning tire then I lock in the differential. If I'm still stuck I use the loader and backhoe to lift myself out.

I've only had to do that one time when I found two ruts spaced the same distance apart as my wheelbase and sat the tractor on it's frame. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

If that hadn't worked I'd probably have gotten the big winch and a dump truck. Failing that, a friend has a big eight wheeled, articulated Deere that wouldn't even notice it was pulling me out. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tractor
    John Deere 790

I always roll my throttle back. I just got a 790 myself - my only new tractor - [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]only 13 hrs. on it. We noticed that if you don't relieve pressure, it actuaqlly leaked fluid. Going out to wait for the moon to rise....

Tractor
    2001 New Holland TC40D w/16LA loader

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( if you don't relieve pressure, it actuaqlly leaked fluid )</font>
    Where is it leaking from and how much? I don't think a new tractor should be leaking anything with only 13 hours on it....
    Mark

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

Tell her deere is much better than a dear. We all go through that stage heck I still enjoy just sitting on my B-7500, and my wife still says she has to wipe the bugs off my teeth from all the grinning when on my tractor.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

do u mean it actually leaks fluid out of the system? if that is the case it should not be happening.

Tractor
    JD 855

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't worry about leaving the tractor in four wheel drive. It's there to be used and makes life much easier )</font>

I've never been impressed with the argument to not use 4WD to save wear and tear on the unit. I always figured, when the machine finally dies, why should I send a worn out machine with a perfectly good, unused front end to the junkyard?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12