basic q's from a new operator

/ basic q's from a new operator #1  

Conservative1

Tractor
John Deere 790
basic q\'s from a new operator

First of all, Hello...
I have some basic questions... I have read three manuals, but have a different outlook after operating my just delivered 790 for 7 hours today.
When stopping, I roll back on the throttle for a minute or so. Is this a good thing, bad thing, or unnecessary? I remember seeing my Grandfather do it, and just figured it was the thing to do. My neighbor thought it was unnecessary. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Second, when dropping the FEL and 3ph mounted brush hog, do you all turn the machine off, then drop? or drop under power, then kill the engine? I tried the latter, and felt like it was down too far... I actually felt the tractor raise just a tad when I dropped the FEL... I wondered if supporting the weight of the machine with the hydraulics was a bad idea?
My land has some <1 ft deep ruts and gullies. I used the diff lock four times today to "unstuck" myself (we have gotten some rain lately). Would it be better to use MFWD instead of the differential lock? Is one better than the other to use to prevent wear and tear on equipment?
How do you explain to your wife your desire to just sit on a quiet tractor til after the moon rises? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks...
Conservative1

/ basic q's from a new operator #2  
Re: basic q\'s from a new operator

After your bucket is down cycle the joy stick to all the positions and you will releive the pressure in the hydraulic supply lines.

Let the tractor idle for a minute or so to cool down before shutting it off. This time may vary on how long and hard the tractor has been used.

Don't worry about leaving the tractor in four wheel drive. It's there to be used and makes life much easier. Same goes for the differential lock. Use it as per the manual instructions if required.

She Who Must Be Obeyed may be convinced if you tell her it's a stupid Man thing and your considering options for new flowerbeds.

Enjoy the new tractor.

Egon

/ basic q's from a new operator #3  

<font color="red">How do you explain to your wife your desire to just sit on a quiet tractor til after the moon rises?
</font>

As some one who also just got there first "real" tractor, I know the feeling. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

/ basic q's from a new operator #4  

<font color="blue">How do you explain to your wife your desire to just sit on a quiet tractor til after the moon rises? </font>

You won't have to...she'll know what's going on when you start howling... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ basic q's from a new operator #5  

i always cut back the throttle to the rpms i want when i am going to start it, then i kill the engine and then lower all implements, be they the 3 pt or the fel. i just feel better doing it that way..

/ basic q's from a new operator #6  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( roll back on the throttle )</font>
I do, too. Don't know why, but it seems like a nice thing to do.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( dropping the FEL and 3ph )</font>
I drop the loader in the float position and lower my rear implement. Sometimes, I don't remember until I shut down and get off. I don't think it matters that much, but what do I know.....
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( MFWD instead of the differential lock)</font>
If 2WD isnt enough, I use 4WD. Then if that isnt enough, I step on the diff-lock. Diff-lock is like the a-bomb for me - only use it when absolutely necessary cuz you can only use it at slow speeds and only when moving straight.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( explain to your wife )</font>
I just get my wife to make me a list of things to do WITH the tractor. Music to my ears: "Honey, when you get a moment, can you stir up the compost pile?" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Mark

/ basic q's from a new operator #7  

For what it's worth, I'm a new 790 owner myself. Read in the FEL manual that the tractor is supposed to have FWD engaged when using the FEL. I don't know why but it was in the manual I got with my JD 419 FEL.

Also, I have R4 tires and I find that the rear tires "spin" more frequently than I thought they would unless the FWD is engaged. The tires are loaded too.

Hope this helps.

/ basic q's from a new operator #8  

<font color="blueclass=small">( Read in the FEL manual that the tractor is supposed to have FWD engaged when using the FEL. I don't know why )

Because, when the loader is full the rear may come off the ground, thus causing you to lose power (rear wheels driving) and braking (no brakes are on the front wheels).

Mark <font color="blue"> </font>

/ basic q's from a new operator #9  

"How do you explain to your wife your desire to just sit on a quiet tractor til after the moon rises? "
How can the wives explain to us that there are 8 shades of off-white shoes? And, they have to have 'em all.....
Some things you just can't explain! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ basic q's from a new operator #10  

congrats on your new tractor. Let the fun begin.

<font color="blue"> ( roll back on the throttle ) </font>

I always do - no particular reason but I think I'd rather start it up at lower RPM's. Just a habit.

<font color="blue"> ( dropping the FEL and 3ph ) </font>

I always try and remember to drop both the loader and 3 point when I shut down. I think this is generally a good idea for safety purposes - especially since I have young children. The only problem is getting into the habit of raising your loader before you start moving when you start it back up. I have torn up my grass a couple of times by accident. Oops. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="blue"> ( MFWD instead of the differential lock) </font>

I always keep my tractor in MFWD unless I'm driving on my paved areas or mowing the actual lawn. If you try driving into a pile without it you will more often than not spin the back tires. I rarely use the differential lock - the MFWD usually is very adequate (I run turf tires).

Happy tractoring!!!