Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not?

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #1  

nuclearsteel

Tractor
Deere / 2520
Had my new Deere 2520 delievered yesterday....just in time too! Got about 4 or 5 inches of snow today. Took the MMM off this morning and went at the driveway with the FEL. I gotta tell you, this was fun.

The machine is very impressive. Managed to clear my 200 yd paved driveway in no time. I have one mother of a steep hill...the tractor got it done, but I can see I'm going to be needing some chains...things were getting sketchy on the way back up the hill when the skim slush left was starting to freeze.

I've done some reading and looking on tirechain.com and want some opinion from people that actually have experience. I am planning on only rear chains...I have R4 tires, and the rears are loaded. It seems like Tirechains.com is one of the better places around, and it's about 30 miles from my house, so that makes it simple. They have ladder chains in stock for the 14-17.5 tires in stock (2 link and 4 link) and also have the V-bar option (these look super freak nasty! :thumbsup:)

1. 2 Link or 4 Link...I read that 2 link makes for a smoother ride, does it help traction? Is 2 link overkill?
  2. V-bar or not ? I know that V-bar will tear up the pavement a bit....I rather have torn up pavement then a torn up 20K tractor or worse a torn up Silverado or 4runner! Is v-bar overkill?

Let me know what you use and if its on pavement!

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #2  
I've got the 2 link v-bar on my Boomer with R4. They work ok, Look and see if you can find a diamond pattern set of chains. They won't ride down in the grooves like a cross chain.

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #3  
The Duo ladders(non-vbar) should work fine on your R4's, and will do less damage to the blacktop than v-bar.
http://tirechains.com/DUO-LADDER-COMBINATION.htm

I have 2 link ladders on my turf tires, and I use them on pavement.........on a hill.

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #4  
No way would I use v-bars on pavement or concrete. Get some 2-link ladders and you will be fine.

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #5  
Had my new Deere 2520 delievered yesterday....just in time too! Got about 4 or 5 inches of snow today. Took the MMM off this morning and went at the driveway with the FEL. I gotta tell you, this was fun.

The machine is very impressive. Managed to clear my 200 yd paved driveway in no time. I have one mother of a steep hill...the tractor got it done, but I can see I'm going to be needing some chains...things were getting sketchy on the way back up the hill when the skim slush left was starting to freeze.

I've done some reading and looking on tirechain.com and want some opinion from people that actually have experience. I am planning on only rear chains...I have R4 tires, and the rears are loaded. It seems like Tirechains.com is one of the better places around, and it's about 30 miles from my house, so that makes it simple. They have ladder chains in stock for the 14-17.5 tires in stock (2 link and 4 link) and also have the V-bar option (these look super freak nasty! :thumbsup:)

1. 2 Link or 4 Link...I read that 2 link makes for a smoother ride, does it help traction? Is 2 link overkill?
  2. V-bar or not ? I know that V-bar will tear up the pavement a bit....I rather have torn up pavement then a torn up 20K tractor or worse a torn up Silverado or 4runner! Is v-bar overkill?

Let me know what you use and if its on pavement!

I went with their Duo-Grip, a bit more aggressive than ladder, but less gnarly than Vbar. Turf at the moment, but want R1's later, so also wanted these Duo-Grips to hold the chains up higher on the future R1s.

Gravel, no slope, but occasionally also do my neighbour's paved drives - no complaints so far.

From their site:

"Duo-Grip Style is recommended for:
field work
deep tread
off road use
hilly conditions

Not recommended for use on pavement.
Duo Style may dig blacktop or concrete more than the ladder style.

Since it has chain running in the circumference as well as side to side it provides unparalleled lateral stability."

For me, side-slopes are not an issue at the moment, but will be on a remote property. I like these Duo-Grips, they've worked well for me.

I don't know your 2520. Unless it is known for a weak diff, consider chaining the front - steering is always nice to have, and would lessen the need to tap-dance the brakes. Read the forums if you haven't - some guys won't go near front chains, some have run 'em for a long time on 4wd. IMO, checking the front diff fluid level is often neglected, that probably creates more front end problems than anything else. :2cents:

With the front chained too, you have less of a need to have an extremely aggressive chain on the rear. Nothing fancy is needed on the front, a buddy of mine with an old JD CUT (sorry, don't know the model) does well using a basic car chain on his fronts (4wd on his too).

I've come around to thinking that on a lighter tractor, you don't want anything more than a moderately aggressive chain, at least if you plan on keeping the tractor. That thought comes from the "irresistible force meeting immovable object" happenings that even a careful operator can encounter when plowing. At these moments, the frame and mounts on your tractor will thank you for having the chains slip, just a little.

Let us know what you decide on.

Rgds, D.

Last edited:
   / Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not?
The Duo ladders(non-vbar) should work fine on your R4's, and will do less damage to the blacktop than v-bar.
Duo Ladder Tractor Tire Chains

I have 2 link ladders on my turf tires, and I use them on pavement.........on a hill.

Doesn't look like they make the Duo-Ladders in my size!:mad:

That will mark the first time I ever had that problem (too big) :)

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #7  
Doesn't look like they make the Duo-Ladders in my size!:mad:

That will mark the first time I ever had that problem (too big) :)
Well, ain't that a bummer.

2 link ladders should work fine, but some have complained that the cross chains fall down inside the lugs(except for right in the center), making for a bumpy ride.

These Deere's compacts seem to have strange tire sizes!

How do you like the Massey? I seriously considered one (my 2nd choice over the 2520). One thing that pushed me to the Deere is the dealership is good and only 5 miles away. The closest Massey dealer was in Penn Run (30 miles away)

/ Chains for Deere 2520 2 Link or 4? V-Bar or Not? #9  
I love my Massey. It fit my wife and I both.

She couldn't get comfortable on the JD2305 at all, she didn't like the rocker pedal on the Cub/Yanmar, and neither of us liked the 'right foot brake' on the Kubota.

My Massey and Kubota dealers are 13 miles away, and the Cub/Yanmar dealer is 35 miles away, and the Deere dealer is 22 miles away............I did not go to the New Holland dealer that is 9 miles away.

I checked out the Kubota (15 miles), Cub/Yanmar (15 miles), and New Holland (5 miles)!

The New Holland's aren't made by New Holland anymore...and they have been sold (compact and subcompact divisions) far too many times for my taste in the last few years, I think they were made in China or some Asian location (not japan).

Cub/Yanmar dealer wasn't much of a dealership...more of a lawnmower shop.

Kubotas were too light and same price as deere!