Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 69
  1. #51
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    296
    Location
    OHIO
    Tractor
    2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Years ago they tried the gas motors in tractors and they just did not handle the dirty conditions near as well as a Diesel engine. They often had issues with the carbs,points and so on. I will say the gap between todays gas motors and diesel engines have narrowed a bunch but I still think for now as far as tractors and excavating goes a gas cannot yet compete especially in bigger equipment.

  2. #52
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Even a previous generation VW tdi is pretty impressive with an Auto trani. Maybe not compared to a hot small block V8 gas motor in a mid-sized car, but few people use those as daily drivers anymore.

    Personally, if I was buying new, I'd spec stick in a car, but I don't think the avg consumer would find anything to complain about engine/trani wise in a VW diesel/auto combo.

    In fact, a lot of years ago (pre tdi) a good friend of mine got the worst speeding ticket he ever had, test driving a VW diesel. A small vehicle that doesn't need to rev the snot out of the motor can be deceptively quick.

    I remember one of the Car and Driver old timers (Bedard I think) writing years ago about vehicles that can seduce you into flying down the road. One example was a VW pickup diesel (of all things) - he kept hitting the rev limiter in top gear, while crossing the Mid West. OK, so he wasn't going 220 mph, but was probably still well into "Do Not Pass Go, Go Directly to Jail" speeds.

    If I lived in the SouthWest (access to rust free older vehicles), and had a bit more in the way of mechanical skills, I might be tempted to re-power older (pre-EPA) vehicles with industrial diesel engines. There is a % of the population that I'd have no trouble selling those to.

    Rgds, D.

  3. #53
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,316
    Location
    Trivoli, IL
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    gas vs diesel tractor engines. in the SCUT (sub compact utility tractors) may look like riding lawn mowers on steroids. and CUTS (compact utility tractors), along with skid steers. i gotta scratch my head.

    while yes fuel consumption is a big thing. but i am more concerned. how many hours i can go without a refill. it takes more time at least for me, to fuel things, or shuttle cans back and forth, to fill up small size tractors or skid steer. honestly, if i can get a couple more hours of work in. which could be difference of working tractor 1/2 day and needing a refill vs, working tractor a full day before refill. i would more likely choose something that could work for a longer period of time. if it costs a few bucks more per gallon of fuel big deal. ya at end of year i could do up a spread sheet and plug in receipts for fuel for a SCUT or CUT or skid steer. but honestly. ya big number might come up say 1000 bucks, compared to say if i used a different fuel. but how much time would be wasted. filling up and shuttle cans of fuel back and forth.

    gas vs diesel. if i can get extra work done with same amount of volume of fuel with diesel vs gas. i am more likely go with diesel. less refills = less cost and less time refilling. more so many times, when labor might be considered 50% or more total cost of building something / doing something.
    Ryan

  4. #54
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Quote Originally Posted by boggen View Post
    gas vs diesel tractor engines. in the SCUT (sub compact utility tractors) may look like riding lawn mowers on steroids. and CUTS (compact utility tractors), along with skid steers. i gotta scratch my head.

    while yes fuel consumption is a big thing. but i am more concerned. how many hours i can go without a refill. it takes more time at least for me, to fuel things, or shuttle cans back and forth, to fill up small size tractors or skid steer. honestly, if i can get a couple more hours of work in. which could be difference of working tractor 1/2 day and needing a refill vs, working tractor a full day before refill. i would more likely choose something that could work for a longer period of time. if it costs a few bucks more per gallon of fuel big deal. ya at end of year i could do up a spread sheet and plug in receipts for fuel for a SCUT or CUT or skid steer. but honestly. ya big number might come up say 1000 bucks, compared to say if i used a different fuel. but how much time would be wasted. filling up and shuttle cans of fuel back and forth.

    gas vs diesel. if i can get extra work done with same amount of volume of fuel with diesel vs gas. i am more likely go with diesel. less refills = less cost and less time refilling. more so many times, when labor might be considered 50% or more total cost of building something / doing something.
    Good point Ryan - us hobby guys putting around looking for a project to do with our tractors can forget about this time factor.

    On a big operation, could make the difference between needing one fuel truck, or two.

    Rgds, D.

  5. #55
    Veteran Member MHarryE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,360
    Location
    Northeastern Minnesota
    Tractor
    JD 7720; Kubota M135GX, NH TS115A; JD 6230; Kubota L5740

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Diesels with autos are anything but doggie. I had a rental Audi A6 with a 3.0 liter turbo diesel that accelerated like somebody lit its tail on fire and had the highest top end of any rental car I ever had - 155 mph tire limited, and a legal speed in Germany where I was able to try it out. Okay, I did get passed while driving at that speed but by a couple Porsches that were in a real hurry. But this is a tractor forum. Dig up explanations of the Otto cycle (gasoline) vs. Diesel cycle. Read the explanation of how the Otto cycle has heat added at a constant volume vs. then Diesel cycle having heat added at a constant pressure. In the analysis is the explanation why a diesel engine makes for a good pulling engine. Not to say that with developments of the future a gas engine may be developed because with using precise fuel/air control, who knows. Di-lithium crystals powering the warp drive?
    JD7720; KubotaM135GX; NH TS115A; JD6230; KubotaL5740

  6. #56
    Super Member crazyal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,861
    Location
    Northern Vermont

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    I'm thinking about getting a small to mid size SUV and the number of companies that sell diesels in the US is pretty small. With the high upfront cost and the higher price of diesel (with taxes) it makes it very hard to justify the cost. On top of that most makers think that they need to put a large diesel into them. I really don't need twin turbos.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

  7. #57
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    63
    Location
    Pakihi New Zealand
    Tractor
    YCT306S-S bulldozer Bobcat 743 skidsteer Leyland 344 tractor

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    In New Zealand diesel is cheaper than petrol (gas in American speak) diesel about NZ$1.50 verse’s petrol at NZ$2.00 per liter most cars are Japanese sourced petrol for cars but almost all SUV’s & Utes (lightweight pickups) are diesel I drive a Toyota Landcruiser 79 series with a 4.5 liter turbo diesel a great vehicle. Toyota have tried to sell their FJ Landcruiser here which was designed for the American market so only comes with a 4.2 liter V6 petrol it was a flop no one will buy a petrol SUV here

  8. #58
    Elite Member Baby Grand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    3,569
    Location
    Windsor, CT.
    Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?
    Not unless you like driving 10 or 20 gallons of gas home from the pump.
    The less gas I have to store around here the more comfortably I sleep.
    The volume of fuel consumed to do a given job should put the price difference in perspective.
    It seems like I use half as much diesel as I do gas to cut the lawn.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

  9. #59
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Quote Originally Posted by timbatrader View Post
    In New Zealand diesel is cheaper than petrol (gas in American speak) diesel about NZ$1.50 verseš—┤ petrol at NZ$2.00 per liter most cars are Japanese sourced petrol for cars but almost all SUVš—┤ & Utes (lightweight pickups) are diesel I drive a Toyota Landcruiser 79 series with a 4.5 liter turbo diesel a great vehicle. Toyota have tried to sell their FJ Landcruiser here which was designed for the American market so only comes with a 4.2 liter V6 petrol it was a flop no one will buy a petrol SUV here
    TT - greetings from Canada, Eh !

    I'm envious of you - Toyota has not offered diesel trucks (and never cars, in my liftetime) here in a long time.

    A couple of questions, if I may:

    What is the factory tow rating on your '79 with this diesel ?

    What transmission do you have ?

    What is your typical mileage (mpg or L/100 km) ?

    Is it NZ taxes that cause most/all of the price difference between your petrol and diesel ?

    Our gas is not cheap here, but you are a good 30% over Canadian prices. Toyota builds a solid truck, but with that gas 4.2, I can see why it didn't sell in NZ, that would be very hard on the wallet.

    Good example of expensive fuel driving diesel use up.

    Rgds, D.
    Last edited by 3930dave; 12-31-2012 at 10:13 AM. Reason: added question

  10. #60
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,003
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    Ford 3930

    Default Re: Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyal View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a small to mid size SUV and the number of companies that sell diesels in the US is pretty small. With the high upfront cost and the higher price of diesel (with taxes) it makes it very hard to justify the cost. On top of that most makers think that they need to put a large diesel into them. I really don't need twin turbos.
    I don't like turbos from a reliability standpoint, but I live with one on my diesel. For the cost of a turbo, I get increased efficiency in a diesel.

    Until recently, you mostly only saw turbo gas motors in sports (/oriented) cars here. Unless the owner was a total idiot, these cars typically saw regular oil changes.

    As a group, I'd say trucks get beat on/worked harder/neglected more than sports cars. It will be interesting to see how these new generation gas truck turbos stand up to real world abuse.

    Rgds, D.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gas Tractors
    By Down South in forum New Holland Owning/Operating
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-24-2012, 09:37 AM
  2. Gas or Diesel tractors?
    By Mal AC in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 10:25 PM
  3. Are you Tier II or Tier III or ITIV or really Tier IV??
    By AKfish in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 02:53 PM
  4. Fuel for old tractors - Lead?
    By Jay4200 in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 10:35 PM
  5. Change In Gas Could Lead To Pumped-Up Prices
    By CarlGlas in forum Oil, Fuel & Lubricants
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 06:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.