Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #61  
Not sure when but I think Mazda was putting a diesel in their CX series vehicles next year. Mazda from what i've read and heard are not going down the hybrid path.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #62  
TT - greetings from Canada, Eh ! :)

I'm envious of you - Toyota has not offered diesel trucks (and never cars, in my liftetime) here in a long time.

A couple of questions, if I may:

What is the factory tow rating on your '79 with this diesel ?

What transmission do you have ?

What is your typical mileage (mpg or L/100 km) ?

Is it NZ taxes that cause most/all of the price difference between your petrol and diesel ?

Our gas is not cheap here, but you are a good 30% over Canadian prices. Toyota builds a solid truck, but with that gas 4.2, I can see why it didn't sell in NZ, that would be very hard on the wallet.

Good example of expensive fuel driving diesel use up.

Rgds, D.

What is the factory tow rating on your '79 with this diesel? 3500kg

What transmission do you have? 5-speed manual with part time 4x4 transfer box with hi/low, diff locks front and rear, coil sprung beam axle up front

What is your typical mileage (mpg or L/100 km)? No idea just full when its empty 90 liters gets me 800 to 1000 km

Is it NZ taxes that cause most/all of the price difference between your petrol and diesel? Yes at least three separate taxes on the petrol and not really a fair comparison as there is a mileage tax on diesel vehicles (5cents a km) and not on petrol light vehicles

Link to the NZ spec Toyotas

Toyota New Zealand - Land Cruiser 70

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #63  

What is the factory tow rating on your '79 with this diesel? 3500kg

What transmission do you have? 5-speed manual with part time 4x4 transfer box with hi/low, diff locks front and rear, coil sprung beam axle up front

What is your typical mileage (mpg or L/100 km)? No idea just full when its empty 90 liters gets me 800 to 1000 km

Is it NZ taxes that cause most/all of the price difference between your petrol and diesel? Yes at least three separate taxes on the petrol and not really a fair comparison as there is a mileage tax on diesel vehicles (5cents a km) and not on petrol light vehicles

Link to the NZ spec Toyotas

Toyota New Zealand - Land Cruiser 70

Thanks, I think. ;)

That link has me crying in my coffee ! Wow, what a selection of diesel platforms ! :shocked: :thumbsup:

For about the fuel mileage of what a gas minivan gets here (many don't even get towards your best mileage performance), you've got an extremely capable off-road vehicle that can tow a house, and is very solidly built. IE. that diesel engine of yours is moving a vehicle that is much heavier than a mini-van, and less aerodynamic.

The "4wd" crowd here (North America) that only use their "trucks" to go to the shopping mall to pick up groceries wouldn't get it, but I am drooling over the drive train under your truck. Love it !

Winter reading for me..... check NZ immigration policy re. Canadians ! :)

Thank you very much for the information !

Rgds, D.

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #64  
Not sure when but I think Mazda was putting a diesel in their CX series vehicles next year. Mazda from what i've read and heard are not going down the hybrid path.

Steve

Years back, Mazda, Nissan, Toyota and even Mitsubishi (via Chrysler) offered diesels in their light trucks here in Canada. Weren't around for that long, but the guys that got a hold of them usually kept them running for a long as possible. Hopefully we'll get a few more diesel trucks to choose from soon !

Rgds, D.

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again?
Thanks, I think. ;)

That link has me crying in my coffee ! Wow, what a selection of diesel platforms ! :shocked: :thumbsup:

For about the fuel mileage of what a gas minivan gets here (many don't even get towards your best mileage performance), you've got an extremely capable off-road vehicle that can tow a house, and is very solidly built. IE. that diesel engine of yours is moving a vehicle that is much heavier than a mini-van, and less aerodynamic.

The "4wd" crowd here (North America) that only use their "trucks" to go to the shopping mall to pick up groceries wouldn't get it, but I am drooling over the drive train under your truck. Love it !

Winter reading for me..... check NZ immigration policy re. Canadians ! :)

Thank you very much for the information !

Rgds, D.
Did you check the price though? They are $50k in canuck bucks. They are my perfect vehicle as well, I would take a double cab. A local guy has a diesel 4 runner that is right hand drive so he imported it from somewhere.

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #66  
Did you check the price though? They are $50k in canuck bucks. They are my perfect vehicle as well, I would take a double cab. A local guy has a diesel 4 runner that is right hand drive so he imported it from somewhere.

Well, no, they aren't giving those away, for sure. But, that is not that far off what a loaded up (option wise) high end mini-van goes for - guess what I'd sooner be driving ? :) I know people who have spent more than that on pickups here.

There are a few small importers of old off-shore diesel vehicles around - presently that is the only option for accessing these type of on-road diesel vehicles, unless you want to try importing it yourself.

Rgds, D.

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #67  
I found it intereting to do a simple search on Youtube for "Jeep 4bt" ie Cummins in a Jeep. Many interesting video's. 4BT in an older Jepp would make a nice rock crawler....

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #68  
I found it intereting to do a simple search on Youtube for "Jeep 4bt" ie Cummins in a Jeep. Many interesting video's. 4BT in an older Jepp would make a nice rock crawler....

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #69  

Torque.... there is no substitute ! :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

/ Will Tier 4 lead to gas tractors again? #70  
You can get that in a gas engine tractor, just not in a compact enough package for most sub-compact/compact utility platforms. My Ford NAA has a 134" 4-cylinder that puts out 110lb-ft of torque and 31 PTO hp at 2000rpm or less. Most field work is done at 1500-1700rpms. Turning that slow even a gas engine can have quite a bit of life in it. It's also the quietest tractor we own, by far.

Unless this tier-4 thing turns into an absolute disaster, I doubt you'll see any gas powered tractors in the future. With that said, more and more people are opting back to gas trucks with what the EPA has done to the diesels.

I've only recently realized this and need to rethink gasoline engines capabilities. Take for example a Continental TMD27. The same block was used for both gasoline and diesel versions. Much to my surprise, the gasser has more horsepower and torque than the diesel version. The same is true for some Perkins engines such as the 4.203. Both gas and diesel versions were made and the gas surpasses the diesel in both horsepower and torque. And I believe it does this at roughly the same rpms. I suspect you don't see this in today's engines because gassers can inherently turn more rpms (not 100% sure why) and if you can use those rpms you might as well and optimize the engine to run at those higher speeds which makes them less powerful down around the diesel speeds.