Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Default take off toothbar??

Pretty new here and very new to owning a tractor. Hadn't gotten any snow yet but am anticipating at least a few good snows this season. I had a toothbar installed on my FEL when I bought, but I guess for moving snow off my gravel driveway, and any work I hope to get moving snow off poured or asphalt driveways I should remove the toothbar?? I don't have a blade or blower, I'm only gonna use the FEL, tired of that shovel. My regular tread tires are liquid filled and was told not to use chains or weights. Does this sound right?
    Advice is most appreciated.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

I removed my tootbar for the winter. It is better for dragging snow from buildings. I'll put it back on for the summer.

Banned
    Tractor
    deere,kubota,case,sears,new holland, Mf

Default Re: take off toothbar??

hey dude. yeah take it off, you might make a mess. Do you have an impact wrench? takes all of 2 minutes to take it off. You said you have a gravel drive way but if your going to move snow off someones paved driveway as you stated, you are going to seriously, f... their driveway up with some scratches and or gouges and ultimately maybe make enemies

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Let me suggest that you install a wear edge on the bucket. I used the loader on my last tractor for clearing snow the first winter without a wear edge and there was very noticeable wear on the bucket. Here's the one on my current tractor. Besides shaping the edge to an angled point, I also did a little grinding at the ends to round/soften the tips so they wouldn't be able to dig into the blacktop.

-wear-edge-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota BX2230

Yeah, take off the toothbar. Lots of recommendations here about getting a black ABS pipe, run it through the table saw and protect the driveway from the edge with that. I would recommend that, having done that this year. Works well. Except today mine fell off and I will need to figure out a way to chain it on now. It actually warped the pipe and the ends are now fighting each other.

And any weight you have hung on there previously is fine now also. I have filled tires and hang 275 lbs on the 3ph.

Tractor
    A couple

My toothbar stays off year round unless I know I'm going to be doing some serious digging that won't require back-dragging.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    My toothbar stays off year round unless I know I'm going to be doing some serious digging that won't require back-dragging.
    That's a good point. Unless something changes I won't even bother with a tooth bar for the L3200. The sharpened wear edge did everything needed so far. This past summer I relocated a couple hundred tons of yard by simply shaving it off in layers. If some serious digging needs done I'll probably call a serious digger.

One really annoying thing I recall running into with my tooth bar was trying to move a pile of "rip-rap" type rocks. These would have probably passed through 5" - 10" screens. Darn things kept gettin caught between the teeth and preventing the bucket from scooping them up. Removed the tooth bar and it worked fine.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

My old Yanmar would dig diddly until I installed a toothbar but my LS P7010 and kubota B26 both dig very well without a tooth bar so I have not considered installing one. I do need to look at putting a wear edge on both of them for both wear and strengthening the bottom lip.
    CHIM: What did you do to the bottom to recess the bolt holes.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK35 SE HST (2011)

I find the toothbar effective for bucking up trees. It saves messing with chains. It's often possible to balance a 50-60' tree across the bucket, mark it, and cut from both ends. It's also handy for raking the branches. Tree harvesting and cleanup is my main use for the toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota BX1860

Thanks for all the responses and great advice.
    I initially had the TB installed to help with cleanup around the property like branches and underbrush, and then found it really helped with loading split firewood and getting it to the pile. Also to cut down high spots on the property. Will also, come spring, be removing an old paver deck, relevel, add 21A base and reinstall pavers. Hadn't even run the machine without it yet. But, as of now, I will remove the TB and only use when I need it.
    I would appreciate more info and ideas on that wear-edge mentioned. Thanks to all, KW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast