MMM versus RFM how to choose?

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #11  
Some makes mid mounts do have good clearance even enough for curbs and some don't! I'd only be mid mount as they are so much easier to trim with. Probably 1/3 of the rear mounts get exchanged for mid or zero turns.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #12  
I have a 72" MMM and an 84" RFM and suggest a 3rd option: A front mower machine. Mine is a diesel JD F-935 with a 72" front mower deck that is essentially the same deck as my MMM (which i would never recommend). The RFM was is used for trimming fields and pathways. The MMM is a pain in the butt to change in and out. I need it off to run hay and snow equipment. This mower type is available new and used made by JD, Kubota and NH. You can get blades, snow blowers, brooms and even a flail mower for them. I even run a pto house alternator off of mine when the power goes out.

These run very fast ground speed. I even have a leaf vacuum that I can attach to it. Very stingy on fuel. If you don't need a 'tractor' looking lawn mower, this is a good way to go. A front mower cuts before you run over the grass, is very maneuverable, hydrostatic transmission and has a steering wheel. Blade access is easy with the hydraulic deck lift. But, you won't look like Farmer Jack when you or the family is running it. I get off-road diesel pricing at Randy's Tire service in Fowlerville

I'm in Brighton if you want to see all this for yourself. There are a couple of them on Craigslist in our area that look real nice ($3000). http://jxn.craigslist.org/grd/3449131057.html

An F-1145 is a newer version/model.

Last edited:
   / MMM versus RFM how to choose? #13  
I agree that if buying a new machine for the sole purpose of mowing, then a front mount is the way to go. I think I would even prefer them over a zero turn. You can get under bushes and such with them and they are very maneuverable, but if you already got the tractor and don't have the budget/ space for a second mower, then I think a rfm is the way to go (to be fair, I have not used a mmm on a cut, but have used plenty of riding mowers).

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #14  
Front mount or mid mount are what I like. The rear mount needs looked at too when mowing and that requires that I do a lot of spinning around in the seat which leads to a stiff neck.

If it wasn't for all the rear tire tracks to contend with, I would be looking for a mid mount tiller. :laughing:

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #15  
I mow with a BX2660 and 60" LandPride RFM. The LandPride cuts great and my lawn (grass / weeds / whatever) sounds a lot like yours; though mine is a bit larger. I do many other things with the BX so I wouldn't want to leave a MMM attached. As far as handling goes, no problems, and I have many fences, trees, hills and other obsticles. I weed whack about every other week, less in summers dog days and use a push mower about as often.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #16  
Had one 60" MMM. Then bought two 60" RFM's and when we upsized the tractor this year I bought a 72" RFM. I like 'em behind me.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #17  
zz, when you're running the genny are the blades in motion too? Or is there a disconnect in the driveline?
Just wondering.
Jim

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #18  
Having a MMM on my Bx,,, i wish i had the RFM instead

I'm in opposite camp - I prefer the MMM over RFM. I enjoy my MMM as I dont have to look behind me and I can have a shorter overall length by dropping FEL. Its a great implement for lowering the COG when moving things in FEL on hill sideways. :eek: Any the other hand -- if I had more then 2 acres to mow - I'd get a RFM as you can get wider widths with same HP of your tractor. 60" is pretty much max for MMM and I am pretty sure I can go 72 if needed on RFM.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #19  
Im buying a scut and have 1acre to mow. Some hills around walk out basement, flower beds, swing set/sand box, shed a few tree's. The RFM's are cheaper and you can get closer to the tree's, so are they the better choice? I have an exmark walk behind mower, but its getting older and so am I. Im thinking most of the scuts life will be mowing, so why not sell the exmark in the spring and get a mower for the scut? My yard isnt watered or weed controlled and in fact some areas wouldnt be green if not for the weeds. :D Do you guys still have a small push mower for close work, or do you wing it with a weed whip? Currently takes me about 1hr to mow my yard and thats not using a weed whip. Can I expect to go faster with the scut and maybe cross cut the main front yard for a better look? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds to me like a four wheel steer or 4x4 wheel steer mower would be a better choice for your lawn area. I use the Deere x749 with mmm and rear hitch/ 540 pto and it does a great job. A four wheel steer mower with a 62 inch deck will circle around a very small tree in one pass and has a 6" uncut radius and will manuever much better around obstacles in your yard. The x749 does a good job with my landplane scraper grader, MC 519 collection cart, 4' boxblade, pull type spreaders, landscape rakes and a rotary tiller. Pretty much everything you need to maintain and improve an acre lawn. Mowing time depends on obstacles so for an acre that is open figure about 30 minutes, then add for the obstacles. I much prefer to use a cart behind my mower than a fel for lawn work as you don't need to add so much ballast and can keep the mower much lighter to protect your lawn.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #20  
View attachment 296072
zz, when you're running the genny are the blades in motion too? Or is there a disconnect in the driveline?
Just wondering.
Jim

I have a separate 3:1 gearbox for the pto drive. All I have to do is switch the driveshaft coupling from the mower gearbox to the pto unit. The diesel motor is about 22 hp and has plenty of torque and power to run this genny for ALL my needs. This one is a 25 kw unit, though.View attachment 296071