MMM versus RFM how to choose?

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #1  

Kenn1320

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS2030H
Im buying a scut and have 1acre to mow. Some hills around walk out basement, flower beds, swing set/sand box, shed a few tree's. The RFM's are cheaper and you can get closer to the tree's, so are they the better choice? I have an exmark walk behind mower, but its getting older and so am I. Im thinking most of the scuts life will be mowing, so why not sell the exmark in the spring and get a mower for the scut? My yard isnt watered or weed controlled and in fact some areas wouldnt be green if not for the weeds. :D Do you guys still have a small push mower for close work, or do you wing it with a weed whip? Currently takes me about 1hr to mow my yard and thats not using a weed whip. Can I expect to go faster with the scut and maybe cross cut the main front yard for a better look? Any advice would be appreciated.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #2  
We use a BX2660 with a 60" deck and don't have a push mower. We occasionally use a weed eater, but not often. Sometimes we use a little Roundup, but didn't use any last year. We have and have used both RFM and MMM and personally prefer the MMM. We do not have any shrubs though.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #3  
rfm's make for tough maneuvering in tight spots, but they also allow you to back into areas and get closer to some things. I have 2-1/2 acres and used to use a 90" rfm, now I have an old bunton front mount mower. I used to have to use a push mower to do the ditches because the 90" was too big, but now I don't. I really don't need the push mower anymore, but will probably keep it anyway. Another thing to consider is the mmm will affect your ground clearance in the center and may cause you to "high center" on hills, it also seems like it would be easier to mount/ dismount the rfm. Then again though, with a mmm you will not always have to dismount it to use a rear attachment.

Last edited:
   / MMM versus RFM how to choose? #4  
I have a MMM and love it.. On a RFM when you turn there is the possibility that the mower will swing faster than it can cut leaving grass standing..

On my JD the MMM is a drive over install/uninstall - which means pull 2 pins, disconnect the PTO, and drop the front hook bar - back over and you are disconnected.. IF i had to struggle with wiggling/pulling heavy mower from under the tractor i would go with a RFM - but the drive over deck is a breeze to hook up..

Brian

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose?
rfm's make for tough maneuvering in tight spots, but they also allow you to back into areas and get closer to some things. I have 2-1/2 acres and used to use a 90" rfm, now I have an old bunton front mount mower. I used to have to use a push mower to do the ditches because the 90" was too big, but now I don't. I really don't need the push mower anymore, but will probably keep it anyway. Another thing to consider is the mmm will affect your ground clearance in the center and may cause you to "high center" on hills, it also seems like it would be easier to mount/ dismount the rfm. Then again though, with a mmm you will now always have to dismount it to use a rear attachment.

Is this common? I read that somewhere and asked the dealer and he showed me where you remove a pin in the rear by the 3pnt and put it in the hole 2" over and that holds the deck up and allows you full use of the 3pnt. This is on a LS J2030H which might just be one of those "why didnt I think of that" things?

I have a MMM and love it.. On a RFM when you turn there is the possibility that the mower will swing faster than it can cut leaving grass standing..

On my JD the MMM is a drive over install/uninstall - which means pull 2 pins, disconnect the PTO, and drop the front hook bar - back over and you are disconnected.. IF i had to struggle with wiggling/pulling heavy mower from under the tractor i would go with a RFM - but the drive over deck is a breeze to hook up..

Brian

This deck didnt look like the drive over option, but Id have to ask. I know the mower deck weighs 450lbs for this particular model, thats a lot of weight to "move around". Guess I was thinking if I had to, I would lift the front end with the bucket to get the deck in place.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #6  
Is this common? I read that somewhere and asked the dealer and he showed me where you remove a pin in the rear by the 3pnt and put it in the hole 2" over and that holds the deck up and allows you full use of the 3pnt. This is on a LS J2030H which might just be one of those "why didnt I think of that" things?

sorry, it was supposed to read [Then again though, with a mmm you will not always have to dismount it to use a rear attachment.]

I have corrected my post

sorry, it was supposed to read [Then again though, with a mmm you will not always have to dismount it to use a rear attachment.]

I have corrected my post

I think your point is valid either way Mike, as your ground clearance is horrible with a mmm or so it appears.

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #8  
We mow with a RFM and trim with a riding mower with a MMM. I weed eat the rest. We have a long ditch in front of our property that the 72" RFM can't cut without scalping it. I tried a friends tractor out before buying mine and it had a MMM and a loader on it. The MMM on his tractor didn't have much ground clearance with the MMM mounted the mower would drag while doing loader work. I didn't like that. It's easier to trim close with a MMM. With a RFM all the dirt and dust is behind me instead of under me. It's easier to grease the RFM because it's out in the open.

I did a search and it appears the deck for these is a drive over design.

The mower is a drive over deck and is easy to remove. Just have to remove 4 pins and the PTO shaft - all fairly easy

/ MMM versus RFM how to choose? #10  
Having a MMM on my Bx,,, i wish i had the RFM instead